Freshwater Drum

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by cat-chaser, Oct 9, 2005.

1. cat-chaser

cat-chaser New Member

State:
    Texas
    Does anybody purposely fish for and/or eat freshwater drum(gasper gou)?
    I'm originally from Texas and have been catching them all oy life. A lot of people don't eat them around here but I will every once in a while. I have more fun catching them, though. they're real aggresive and fight pretty hard especially the bigger ones (5+lbs). I've caught em mostly on shiners/minnows,shad and even jigs and crankbaits in the spring. Just wanted to know if anyone else enjoys catching them, if not eating them

2. Noodlejug

Noodlejug New Member

State:
    st. louis
    Tell us more catchasher, Do you smoke yours bake or fry? They are selling drum in the chain grocer here now. Use to be the poormans fish. Mostly out of myth and ignorance. I think the bass fisherman spread it around :eek: They put up a better fight in my book , just not as colorful for the camera as your pretty boy bass.

3. bigpapa15206

bigpapa15206 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh
    they call em Sheephead were i live(dont ask why).I dont purposely fish for them but they are fun to catch. After a big rain you catch tons of them and big to (5-10#) they take my shad before they even get the chance to reach the bottom!

Attached Files:

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Only thing I ever did with a drum was toss it up on the bank alongside the buffalo and carp... :rolleyes: Seems any time I'm fishing for catfish with worms, I'll catch a few drum. They do fight a bit, but they're still junk fish as far as I'm concerned.

5. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I have always caught them in the rivers on worms. I bowfish them quite a bit. But never eat one, does it have a mud streak like most bottom feeders?

6. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I do not target the gou but I have caught many in my lifetime. :D

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well no i don't target them but do catch them alot in the creek and lake. if i don't have fish in the freezor and want to eat some ya ill eat them. i gut them head on and scale. wrap in butter and spices and grill or bake. there bony but taste ok to me. if ive got cats or other (bass, crappie,) fillets in the freezor i just reach over the boat and pop em off the hook.

only fish i ever toss on the bank is none. unless there going home to the grease.

8. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    I've eatin them in the early spring,firm white flesh,but bony.Summer they seem to get mushy and off-tasting.

9. Madtownangler

Madtownangler New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Sheephead are also called stoneheads out here. They have "stones" in the head which makes it easier for them to eat crap off the bottom.

10. TrophyHunter

TrophyHunter New Member

State:
    Portage la Prairie, Manitoba
    I love catching big drum there is a big lake close to my house and in the spring we can get into literally hundreds of em and big ones too fun fun fun :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. cat-chaser

cat-chaser New Member

State:
    Texas
    Since I started this particular thread I've been on about 2 fishing trips and have a caught & released a couple of nice ones. Usually, if I'm going to eat one I'll keep a smaller fish-less than 1 1/2 to 2 lbs and fry him up. They are pretty bony but the flesh of the smaller ones is more palatable to me. Once they get too big the meat gets kinda rubbery. Where I'm from, live crawfish is THE absolute best bait to use-especialy in the fall & spring. I would rate live minnows second but for the big big ones-a shad head (just like for cats) has produced for me a lot lately. Try a medium-diving crankbait with some color combination of yellow/chatreuse/orange and a little blue in the spring where you know there are gous and see how much fun they are

12. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I was fishing Dale Hollow lake in Tenn for samllmouths once and came upon a fisherman fighting a monster fish.He didn't have a net and I stopped close by to offer assistance.He was sure it was a world record smallmouth and so was I.After a 20 minute fight with both of us stoked up at the thought of this giant smallmouth a 20 lb drum surfaced.I don't know how you cook them but the fisherman boiled the water with his cuss words and so did I.Boiled drum might be ok but it took the both of us ten minutes to recover we were so excited.The fisherman only had 6lb test line which is why it took so long but it was a hell of a fight and for 19 minutes this man "Held" the smallmouth record ,at least in our minds.

13. davesoutfishing

davesoutfishing New Member

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    never have kept them only started useing the small ones for bait$ to 5 inches long thanks to this site cats bite hard on em

14. cat-chaser

cat-chaser New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thats something else I wanted to know about-do they make good cat bait?
    It makes sense that they would since they both inhabit the same areas. I think I'll try some on my next trip if I catch one.

15. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've never tried them live, but I've read posts about live drum being good bait for flatheads. I've tried cut drum for blues, and had extremely poor results.

16. Mr Phatkat

Mr Phatkat New Member

State:
    Charleston sc
    The small ones make a great cutbait. The larger ones (in my experience) dont make good bait at all for some reason. If i get one no bigger than 7inches or so, i go about an inch back from the head and use the head portion only. Ive never used them live. But ive got nice results from fresh cut small sheepshead.

17. hoosier angler

hoosier angler New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Fished the heck out of it for blues ( fresh cut) and NEVER got bit!
    I am done with them. :sad:

18. Mr Phatkat

Mr Phatkat New Member

State:
    Charleston sc
    Thats odd because im from indiana and a lot of guys i know use them, especially on the st Joe river. In fact some prefer those over alwife or creek chubs(not me,lol)

19. Mathersm

Mathersm New Member

State:
    Darbydale, Ohio
    I think it is a personal waste of my time when i catch sheephead, aka sh%$head here. I fish lake Erie every year a couple of times for Smallies and always manage to catch a bunch. I have caught plenty in the 10lb plus mark and they still don't fight as good as a 2lb smallie imho. I also catch them in my local creek while fishing for anything else. I have caught more of them on crankbaits, normally ratt'l traps, than any other bait.

20. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    when the cats are slow i toss out worms for drum and carp. it helps pass the time till mr big wants to eat. 15#s is the biggest iv caught in my river.