Freshwater drum

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by wizkersNworms, Apr 21, 2006.

1. wizkersNworms

wizkersNworms New Member

State:
    Illinois
    How does one go about catching or trying to catch freshwater drum?

2. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    You can probably catch them wherever there is good current around any type of structure. I've caught many at the discharge from the power plant on the MS River. MANY! We've used rattle traps, crank baits, cut shad, worms. You should be able to catch them on practically any type of cutbait. Fish it the same way you would for catfishing. They are great fun to catch and some people like to eat them. I've never eaten one myself but have heard that they can be good if prepared right...??

3. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I catch them by just fishing for catfish, But I do bowfish them. If you do catch one, did you know they have stones in there head that look like pieces of flat round marble. If you get one about 15-20 lbs. cut the head open just above the eyes and there is two openings on each side and the stones are laying just inside. I think they are made like pearls in an oyster. Pressure in the head compress' sand and they are made. They are about the size of a quarter, bigger with the bigger fish..

4. cottonmouth

cottonmouth New Member

State:
    southeast tn
    just put a nightcrawler on the bottom and you'll catch drum if they're around nothing fancy

5. webster_catman

webster_catman New Member

State:
    webster
    everytime i go fishing i ussually hook into a drum or to, they get to a decent size too and fght hard. they love everything grom nightcrawlers to cray fish and cut bait. the best bait for the big ones that i have used is a whole creek chub about 5 inches in length cut down the belly and hooked in the back. i have caught alot of drum this way. when nothing else is biteing i love cathing theese things because they will hit just about anything and theyre a hard fighting fish.

6. SunburntAgain

SunburntAgain New Member

State:
    Tulsa, OK
    In the river I fish, drum congragate in tailraces in eddies and slackwater sides of current seams. Thay also will hold around isolated rock structure, they much prefer rock structure to wood or other cover. I catch a ton of drum while white bass fishing on 1/8 to 1/4 oz jigs tipped with 3-4"curly tailed grubs. The colors that work best on my river are clear smoke with glitter, and translucent beige with glitter. Ive caught them on all colors of jigs, but those two produce the most for me. I even caught a drum this year that was almost 20 lbs while fishing for striper, with a 6" storm shad. They also love nightcrawlers, shad guts, and other baits that you would typically use for smaller channel cats. But for sizeable drum, Id definately go with a jig bumped slowly across a bottom of an area that you know holds drum.

7. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i dont know why you would aim for drums
    people throw them at rocks around here
    just throw a worm on a hook anywhere in the river and walla

8. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    If drum is al you got rember they are closley related to a red fish. A fillet of fresh water drum is pure whute meat and quite tastey.

SE YOU ON THE FISH BANK SOME TIME

9. astutzman

astutzman New Member

State:
    Collinsville, IL
    I ate my first Drum earlier this year. I'd always heard that they were pretty god eating, but always considered them a trash fish. Well, I was out fishing for cats about two months ago and came across a crayfish, and figured I'd use it for bait and see what I caught. I snapped it's two pincers off and threw him out. It wasn't in the water a minute before I got a huge hit. When I got it to the bank, it was the biggest drum that I had ever caught. I had only caught and kept two small fiddlers and figured I'd keep the Drum just to see how they taste.

I ended up fileting the drum out just like you would a crappie or bluegill. I breaded it and fried it up, and I could hardly believe the flavor. For a fish of it's size, it hard hardly any fishy flavor at all. I'd definitely recommend trying one if you haven't, they're delicious.

10. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    hmmm
    might have to take back my post if they r good eatin
    i heard they werent flaky at all cooked kinda more meaty

11. douglas_413

douglas_413 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Crawdads seem to be what they love where I fish for them. I have caught them on nightcrawlers and minows as well.

It just seems like the crawdads to drum is like catnip to cats. They just can't refuse.

12. knapperheadmatt

knapperheadmatt New Member

State:
    texas
    i agree with douglas, small crawdads about as long as your index finger. early march till the first of may seems to be the best time here(texas).what you do is put out all your big rods then put out one of those little snoopy rods. it never fails ,a 35 lb drum will hammer the snoopy rod every time.:big_smile:
    i see them alot in the thermocline in the summer while scuba diving.

13. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    freshwater Drum Has A Real Good Flavor. But I Don't Eat Them Much. Too Bony For Me. Sure Didn't Know About The Stones In Thier Heads. Caught One Last Week Weighed About 20 Lbs. But Hes Still Swimming Around In The River. We Turned Him Loose. Also The Drum Around Here Are Good Eating In The Spring ,early Summer .about July When It Gets Good And Hot They Seem To Get Worms In Side Them. So No One Eats Them Till It Cools Off Again. They Are Fun To Catch.good Fighters.