Freshwater Drum

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by astutzman, Apr 12, 2006.

1. astutzman

astutzman New Member

State:
    Collinsville, IL
    Anybody out there ever eat drum? I've heard from some people that they have a pretty good flavor, but most anglers around here just treat them like trash fish.

If you have eaten them, what's the best way to prepare them? I'd like to give them a try sometime.

2. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Stick with the smaller ones,under 5#.Also get from colder water,don't eat in summer or fall.

Firm,white meat,not bad.Fillet,score,and fry it up.Enjoy.

3. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I have not eaten it in years, but like the previous poster said, don't eat them in the summer because of worms.

Eric

4. astutzman

astutzman New Member

State:
    Collinsville, IL
    So I should score the fillets? Are they bony like carp?

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I haven't eaten freshwater drum, but I have eaten black drum from saltwater, and they are very similar to freshwater drum, just bigger. Check the tail section of the fillet very closely, because that's where the worms generally start. If you should find a couple in the tail section, but none anywhere else, you can simply cut off the tail part of the fillet and feed it to the cat or dog. As with any fish, fowl, or pork, you want to be especially sure the meat is thoroughly cooked; that doesn't mean it has to be overcooked, though.

6. captain5214

captain5214 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    no trick bones in them, they fillet real nice. they die easy once caught so put them on ice right away and eat them the same day. if you frezze them they get mushy. anything over 5 lbs i dont eat cuzz of worms. ive eatem in a gravy and fried, never tried baked. hope this helps charlie r

7. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    Man, those cajuns will eat anything! :happy:

I've caught a few goos in my time but have yet to eat one.

8. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Meat mushy in summer/fall