Freshwater Drum

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by floundahman, Jul 4, 2009.

1. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    While visiting my in-laws in Michigan, I had a chance to do some fishing. I caught my first freshwater drum. I ended up catching 9 of them, all were between 1 1/2 and 2 pounds. They were a lot of fun to catch. Although we do have them in NC, they are not nearly as plentiful. Does anyone target these fish?

2. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i dont myself but ever spring my brother and several of his friends go to ouachita river just above the lake and spend a couple days camped out.thet catch a lot between 10 and 30 lbs.looks like they cleaning a fattening hog when they clean them.they smoke and bbq them.never accuried a taste for them but they claim they good eating.

3. cat stalker

cat stalker New Member

State:
    missouri
    I,ve never targeted them, but have caught a few 5lbers or so.
    Some of the old timers around here say they are really good eating.
    They really like crawfish.

4. richard84

richard84 New Member

State:
    ky
    i dont know anyone that targets them but they sound like theyre fun to catch

5. WhoJosh

WhoJosh New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    when i dont have any catfish bait or a cast net, i'll throw a nightcrawler on a light spinning pole in the rivers i fish to catch these. freshwater drum is probably my favorite catfish bait; cut or alive.

6. Catfish_Calvin

Catfish_Calvin New Member

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    If you catch drum when the water is cold they are very good to eat. They get up to 20 pounds around here on the Mississippi. Also very good for cut bait for the channel cats. If you can find a place with a sandy bottom on the river, throw out a worm and you should get some perch pretty fast.

7. Kalvinc

Kalvinc New Member

State:
    Russellville, AR
    I don't target them but I think I may be the world's best drum fisherman. I was catfishing a few days ago at a dam and caught around 40 of them, most weighing between 4-7lbs. A nuisance for me.

8. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    I've only known one fella that targeted big drum and he was a college prof
    at K-State who was a fisheries biologist. He'd go out early in the spring
    just above Tuttle Creek for about a week fishing peeled crawdad tails and
    keep a freezer full of 10-30lb drum filleted then sliced down into fishsticks
    for his lunches. He kept his limit of cats in the 3-8lb range as well. All
    others were released, of course. His best cat was a flathead in the 60lb
    range. Made his raising crawdads for size have meaning outside of his
    professional life, I imagine. That general vicinity of the river where it
    begins to widen just above Tuttle yeilded the state record drum just
    last spring. Wonder if it was him? Never checked...

9. Minnowslayer

Minnowslayer New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have my best luck using crawdads and nightcrawlers.I have also caught a couple of drum while cat fishing using cut drum for bait.

10. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Thrischon, Welcome to the BOC!

11. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I target freshwater drum when I run outa real catfish bait. It is excellent cut bait for channel cats. I haven't eaten it in 40 years but will try it soon. Some people say it is really good, I never really liked it.

12. big train

big train New Member

State:
    Coffeyvill
    Years ago a fellow named Joe Krieger had a fishing show I think with a women named Wanda. They did a show on drum fishing useing crawdad crankbaits in a river somewhere.

13. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I just catch them when they decide to strike a nightcrawler or minnow of mine. :wink:

14. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    Try cutting it up in small chunks and boil it in crab boil like shrimp or crawfish. They call it the poor man's lobster.

15. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas
    not sure that anyone really targets them for the most part typically, but i caught one last night in clinton lake kansas and it was 13 pounds, put up a great fight, took over 5 mins to land him/her! :crazy: I hear some people think they are great meat, but i have also herd they are horrible! depends what you like!