Freshwater Drum for bait Question?

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Joey6500, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Freshwater drum is one of my favorite baits for Flatheads but I don't know how to target them specifically(or if that was even possible)I usually just toss out a crawler fished on the bottom.I catch some but not that many.Maybe 5 or 6 a day.With 2 or 3 of them being bait sized(I prefer 5-12 inches)I just wish I could get a good supply of them like I can with Gills,Bullheads,Suckers etc.Any help is appreciated

2. Jay Jay

Jay Jay New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Up here in Wis. they have a spawning run in the spring , Right after the whitebass . Then they are here all summer ,never had much luck as live-bait for flats , but work well as cut bait for channels .this is river fishing . They are considered a trash fish like carp around here , however cleaning them properly yield a great deep frying fish .,They also smoke up well .to the grandkids they are a sport fish , as they are easy to catch .

3. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Find you a little creek, or even marina off the river and use night crawlers, you will catch them all day usually. They like cut shad too..

4. catfish_clayton

catfish_clayton New Member

State:
    Catania, Italy,
    I catch allot of them here in Chester, WV on minnows with a float. I also catch allot of them on white curl tail grubs. Hope this helps.

5. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    great post travis.. There is a couple places early in the spring, especially in the highwater that these drum move up into from the Muskingum River here too I have found.. a nightcrawler fished in these creeks and flooded streams are a great place to get them I have seen espcially in late March and April. Never tried the Marina's, but I bet they would be good.. good post bro...rollo

6. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Yeah usually when throw netting for shad in the marinas I almost always get some in the net, I dont like to use them because they tend to die off quick...

7. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks guys.Good info.I've actually had them stay alive all night(about 8 hours )On the hook

8. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I have never used them for bait but I catch them with worms they are a good eating fish

9. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    if you are close to deer creek,i catch quite a few at the spillway on the pancoastburg side.
    right on the dam side of the bridge,throw some worms out there in the middle and i usually can get a few out of there.

10. zmany2k

zmany2k New Member

State:
    APG, MD
    fishing the lower dam in hamilton on the gmr i catch them constantly. Not much in there besides catfish and drum that will hit crawlers on the bottom. They're packed into that hole. i've never kept them for anything, but i can normally catch one every ten minutes or so if i'm using crawlers.

That's my carp hole though, so if i'm tossing crawlers in there, then i must be getting bored.

11. ateamfisherman

ateamfisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    Here in texas we usually catch them at a shoal in the river when fishing for channel cat they really hit hard. They are pretty good eating if you are fish hungry we eat them when we eat what we catch. Thanks Sam Davis