freshwater aquarium help

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by zoelife, Sep 4, 2006.

1. zoelife

zoelife New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I spent over 15 years in the tropical fish biz and have seen and heard just about everything that can go wrong with fish/fishtanks as well as live plants.
    I have been injecting co2 into most fishtanks I have owned since 1990.and if one wants a great way to control PH without all the chemicals,and yet get great plant growth..co2 is a great way to accomplish that.
    So,if anyone is having problems with their fishtank or wants to just share whats going on with theirs feel free to post any and all questions or comments.
    By the way I currently have a 75 gallon which is co2 injected..
    Peace and Plenty,
    Kevin

2. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    Thats a really good post and a helpful one.

3. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I have a 125 gallon salt water tank. A couple months ago it got over run with hair alge and it killed almost everything:angry: ...I've never done the co2 thing.

4. zoelife

zoelife New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thanks Greg for your words.I hope this will be a great help for others. :)
    WOW Jason,a 125 salt...now we know who has the money..:smile2: I played with saltwater a bit ,but basically found it too expensive to be worthwhile.
    hair algae,have dealt with it quite a bit in freshwater tanks and it can usually be traced to high phosphates.how long have you had it set-up?and when you say it killed everything,did it kill off fish and inverts?And did it kill them as it was dissapearing,the one thing to watch out for when killing algae in any system when one has alot of it is to beware of the O2 depletion which happens when algae dies.
    Do you have a protein skimmer hooked up to your tank?
    As far as the co2 injection I have known people who have done it in the past.And if one has good salt plant growth such as some of the smaller seaweeds,their name escapes me at the moment,it can be of a good benefit.
    Ususally it is for freshwater plants,and the injection rate is very little,maybe 1-5 bubbles a second while lights are on.
    The way it works is when used in conjuction with a good fert regiment,say 5ml. a day of a good fert.it basically allows the plants to grow so well that it outcompetes algae for the nutrients..
    CO2>PLANTS=GREATER ABILITY FOR THE PLANTS TO UPTAKE NUTRIENTS IN THE WATER COLUMN AND TO OUTCOMPETE ALGAE.
    While it does not totally get rid of algae,it definetly puts a dent in it,so that one would barely notice it.and the plant growth goes through the roof.at around 3watts per gallon of light one will be trimming plants everyother week,either to trade to a local pet store or to give to friends.
    I imagine Jason that you do have some bqasic test kits for your tank?nitrates,PH and if you dont have one a phosphate test kit will definetly help alot to tell you whats going on...
    If you can give me a few parameters as far as lighting, water change schedule,filtration system..wet/dry?undergravel?live rock only?It will help me to possibly help you out ...unless of course by this time,you have already got everything balanced out and back to normal..
    And have already replaced those not very inexpensive fish??? :eek:oooh:
    Anyway,hope to hear from you soon.
    Peace and Plenty,
    Kevin
    Jason I just noticed that you are in witchita.have you ever gone to THE COVE?unless it has changed names..I used to deliver fish to them as well as many other pet stores in kansas.

5. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Its been set up for probably 3 years now...I didn't use any chemicals to try to kill it I just bought some Tangs and a couple sea slugs(supposed to eat alot of it) but I guess I didn't catch it in time. I checked the water with my cheap test kit, and had a buddy at the fish store check it there, but every thing checked OK.:confused2: I think it started when I put some of those alge sheets in there for the other tangs I had to eat. I've all but given up now, the tank looks aweful and I'm about ready to go freash water

6. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Oh and I had a sea clone protein skimmer in the tank till it started kicking out a ton of bubbles. I think I'll go with a backpack skimmer if I kep it saltwater.

7. zoelife

zoelife New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Sorry to hear it Jason,.I know that salt is not cheap,but with the money you have spent on it up to now.going fresh will be a relief on your pocketbook.If you decide to go fresh,let me know and I can definetly help you to get on the right path to a low maint. system.I even have an extra co2 tank here at the house if you decide to go with live plants.and can give you great info on which fish go together and which dont.But with you having 3 years under your belt,you are way ahead of the curve.
    Oh and as far as the co2 injection,.it isnt at all odd that you have not ever heard of it.not very many people do it,although there are some around who do..it is not spoken much of as many dont understand always how it works.or dont want to take the time to explain it to people.
    I even used to do a set-up to make wine in smaller tanks and add yeast,water sugar,and some juice,the gas it gives off is co2,and I would just run it into the tank...LOL...Just would not reccomend drinking the juice when its done..hehee...
    iit lasts about 4-6 weeks doing it that way and hard to control the bubble rate...whereas a 5# co2 tank will last anywhere from 6 monthas to a year.
    Peace and Plenty,
    Kevin

8. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Awesome...Thanks buddy, I'll keep that in mind.