Fresh whole mullet at BI-LO

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by foothills, Apr 11, 2007.

1. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    went to BI-LO this evening (4-11-07) and they had fresh whole mullet in the seafood case...bought me 2 of them at $3.43 and i'm gonna give them a try at greenwood this friday since the ailen's have abducted all the shad:lol: ...has anyone ever tried them??...i'll post my results.

2. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I have tried them and it is usually hit or miss with them. Just like with all cut bait the fresher the better. Good luck.

3. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    you should do well with it esp. with the channels.

4. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I used to use it a good bit before I learned how to throw my cast net. I still use mullet some but usually in the winter when throwing the net is rough because of the cold water.

5. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    Never tried them, but let us know how it does

6. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Fresh mullet works really good.......choose the toughest rod you have and hook the whole head on it, lay it in the bottom of the boat and step on it (really gets the juices running) then chunk it out and hold on !!!!!!!

7. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I know mullet is super oily and Gar love it also. I used it a time or two at Santee and caught a few Gar. It wasn't winter at the time but I had limited bait at the time.

8. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    I used in the Pee Dee at Cheraw and did well.

9. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I used it at Santee and wished I had more. I caught a lot of fish on it. It does start to get mushly fairly quickly, so get it as fresh as possible and keep it cool.

10. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    well i used the mullet on greenwood friday...i have a greenwood report post on the board...the heads did not last long at all...the channels ate them up...the body meat was fair...i caught fish on it but the fresh bait that i had did much better than the mullet...however this is the best "store bought" bait that i have used so far...it even does better than shrimp...the body meat is mushy but it held together while drifting and even stayed together after having several bites on it...at this point if i can't catch fresh bait and had to buy "store bought" i would take fresh mullet over anything else.