Fresh water shrimp

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by shuorc, Feb 13, 2007.

1. shuorc

shuorc New Member

State:
    fl
    Anyone use shrimp for crappies, i'm getting out fished by the guys that do and can't seem to get the hang of no bobber or split shot.--shu

2. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    The biggest problem with no weight is detecting the strike. Light, limp line is the best, but you have to control the drop so that you can either visibly see the line move when the fish strikes, or feel the light bump when it sucks it in. It's tricky, but its not as hard as it seems. I've never fished shrimp like that, but I used to fish tiny crayfish back home like that all the time for trout, smallmouth, and panfish, or crawler heads on a hook and no weight for crappie.

3. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky

Myron, are they using live bait shrimp? Or frozen (like from Wal-Mart), raw, cooked, shell on or off??? And what size?? You got my curiosity up because I've been thinkin about tryin some frozen popcorn shrimp for crappie this year.

4. shuorc

shuorc New Member

State:
    fl
    Live fresh water shrimp in Florida can be 'dipped' year around in most lakes(i haven't mastered that yet either). you can use a long handled net in the grass on the lake's edge and get enough to fish all day(good price too). REALLY GOOD crappie bait but will have to work some on the technique.--shu

5. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    We call'em grass shrimp, as mentioned before you can catch them with a long handled dip net with fine mesh.

You just poke the net into the vegetation along the shore, then just use a "sifting" type motion & you'll catch plenty of 'em..

I always use a split shot, while fishing with them, never tried it any other way.

6. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky

Thanks for the info, but has anyone done any good with frozen shrimp for crappie?

7. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky

Ooohhh, 'FRESH water' shrimp. So this is something that is native to the waters you're taking the crappie from. Undoubtably that would be great bait then.

We have a fresh water shrimp (known also as a 'fairy shrimp') up here. The only place I've ran accross them was from a very large spring that I was gathering watercress from many years ago. These up here will only live in the purest of water and are about the size of a small wax worm (only flatter). I think they're common in caves, but I've never heard of them in the rivers or streams around here.

8. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    I also just started catching these...use them for food in my fish tank.... I was just about to use some today but opted to use a jig instead...still caught 20+ sacalait! :big_smile:

9. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    I use fresh water shrip for breame all the time never did think to try em on white perch. I think I'll start.

10. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    Hey fellas,

I think a grass shrimp is a little bitty dude that lives in the grass and looks kinda like a saltwater shrimp. Never seen one though. I know that a freshwater shrimp is a big thing that looks just like a crawfish, except they seem to get a lot bigger around here than the crawfish do. Their claws are a lot smaller than a crawfish' claws. I've caught plenty of them in a cast net, some up to 8 or 9 inches long. Used their tailmeat for bream bait and live for catfish and bass. Never have used anything other than minnows for crappie though so can't help you with that.

11. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    Click here to see a picture of one of those big dudes (freshwater shrimp) I was talking about.

C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\A1UHS9WJ\HondurasMacrobrachium[1].jpg

12. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    [​IMG]

13. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    holy crap!!!! thats a monster.lol.

14. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I would LOVE to catch a crappie that could eat that thing!

15. Bucktail033

Bucktail033 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Wow where can you get those.

16. shuorc

shuorc New Member

State:
    fl
    that is not the same type i'm wondering about but should be good for big bass and catfish. I'd take a picture and post it but can't seem to edit my pictures to post them and am spending too much time in the boat to learn how it's done.
    Thanks for all the input, since i posted i've caught my first crappie on a grass shrimp but broke my net trying to get a bunch.--shu

17. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    "spending too much time in the boat to learn how it's done."

you florida people make me sick,,,,,,,,,,,,lol