Fresh water mussels for bait?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by kylekutta, Jan 16, 2007.

1. kylekutta

kylekutta New Member

State:
    NC
    Has anyone ever used fresh water mussels for bait?If so how?I notice alot it the bellies of blues.How do you collect them and open them and fish with them?

2. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, North Carol
    The only place that i have seen any mussels is down on the bottom of the lock and damn #3 by elizabethtown.

3. fishinforcats

fishinforcats New Member

State:
    NC
    Interesting concept... I have noticed the same thing, not so much the belly I try not to open that but do notice the intestine is plumb full and always wonder how they don't rupture!
    I'll be watching this one to see if anyone has had any experience using these for bait.

4. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    look on page 2 right hand side about halfway down.

Attached Files:

5. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    The only thing that I could think of would be a net or shovel and walk out into the water and start scoping. Then break them open and use them just like you would some chicken liver.

6. kylekutta

kylekutta New Member

State:
    NC
    I have a milk crate with small wire(hardware cloth)on the inside for sand fittlers at the coast.Maybe I can shovel sand from a sand bar in and wash the sand out and see what i get.May be on to something or not have to try sometime.What is impounded waters and how do you identify the type of clam or mussels?

7. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Impounded water is any water that is hindered from flow in any way. So i think that you cant use them out of the Cape Fear or any lakes they would have to be from a River with no locks or dams.

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I have heard, people using them for bait.

9. MERUSS

MERUSS New Member

State:
    nc
    We can buy mussels here that are frozen. I like to use them with a small treble hook on a dropper loop abuot a foot off the bottom. You can catch a nice mess of small ones for supper. Only thing is you have to be quick you only get one chance to set a hook.

10. mack in n.c.

mack in n.c. Member

State:
    cary nc
    mussels are great bait.......blues eat alot of the and all cats to some extent eat some ...blues eat a lot of the asian clams but these are too small to fish with.........i just find them in shallow sandy areas and open them up with a knife or bust them open......these are our native freshwater mussels .......1 word of caution.....some of these are protected and you can get in trouble with using 1 that is protected....i grew up on the haw river and starting about 1970 or so i started using mussles as bait........awesome bait but i would wipe a spot out of them......they aregetting fewer and fewer...mack

11. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    you can get mussels by getting around a shallow muddy bottom and feeling for them and throw them in the boat. My grandfather did this years ago for a living. I did it some when I was younge with my cousins. They are very good catfish bait.

12. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    We have used clams (mussels) for bait here in S.E. Iowa,both commercially,and on R&R. I personally have not had that much luck on R&R using them,but I have a friend that uses them quite often and does pretty well with them. You do have to be careful anymore though,because so many of the species is endangered. Here in Iowa there is also a limit on how many you can have in your possession,I think it is either 24 or 25 is all. About 2 yrs. ago there was one of the locals that caught with a 5 gal. bucket full in his possession,and he also had a couple of the endangered species. I think when it was all said and done it cost him $2500.00. If you're going to try to get some to use for bait,just be sure you know which one's you can legally take.
    Glenn

13. brasmunky

brasmunky New Member

State:
    mo but live in id
    i use them here in idaho quite a bit for channels. i walk around on a sand flat barefoot and feel for them crack em open with a knife and thread them on a light wire hook like livers

14. allworknofish

allworknofish New Member

State:
    texas
    i use clams down in the riogrande valley at delta lake. i just get in the water and feel for them with my feet. ill get them as big as my hand. to remove from the shell, i take a knife and cut the "skin" around the face of the opening, then pry open with a heavy,DULL knife. it can slip and that gouge to the palm can me nasty.(why does it sound like i know this from experiance):roll_eyes: . have caught alot of blues and channels and even some gaspergou(fresh water drum) they stay on the hook very well too

15. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Here in Michigan, it is against the law to harvest any fresh water clam, for any reason. As a matter of fact it is against the law to even have an empty clam shell in your pocession.
    Sparky

16. spanishcatman

spanishcatman New Member

State:
    United Kingdom
    They result in too much attention from carp in my rivers!! I have had some small cats on them in the past though.

17. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I have used them for bait before in a small creek that I fish. I just wade the shallows and collect a lot of freshwater mussels and crawdads when the bait stores aren't open. I have caught a lot of rock bass on the mussels, a few channel cats, quite a few bullheads, and a smallmouth bass every now and then. Best way to use them is just crack them open with a rock or step on them and use the good meaty part of the mussel on a #2 hook.

18. james_s333

james_s333 New Member

State:
    byesville,ohio
    ive used them and i just go out after the water is high and goes back down in the river or someplace that has alot of rocks and collect freesh water oysters from between the rocks ive only caught a few small ones nothing worth bragging about but it does seem to work alittle if you want eaters

19. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    On one of the canals that I fish back home there are a few spillways along the bank and there are plenty of mussels around each one. A buddy taught me to open them up and hook them with thread wrapped around them kind of like chicken liver. Works pretty good for channels.

20. flathead20000

flathead20000 New Member

State:
    Indiana, Delphi
    Here in Indiana mussels are illegal to use or possess. But I do know that they are readily available if you can find them. I live on a small river in Indiana and I have to constantly tell my 8 and 7 year old girls to leave them alone when they are swimming. If legal where you live, one old timer told me you can open them up and basically let them rot for a couple of days covered in salt. He said they were great bait!! I also remember opening them in science class in high school. The easiest way is to slide a knife about two inches from where the shell connects and slide it towards the hinge on both sides. There is two ligaments that you will severe there and it will pop right open. Good luck if legal!!!!!!!!!!!!