fresh water marlin caught on Big Pee Dee yesterday!!!!

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Bill in SC, May 10, 2008.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Well, it was a large bill fish! :) In addition to the gar David caught, he caught a 12.5 pound blue, and I caught a 12 pound blue. I also caught a channel cat that was turning jet black like the big male blues the guy won the SH tournament with. The channel also had a very wide head. We didn't get on the water until noon, and the bite was mighty slow. All the fish were caught on cut herring. Had a good time as usual.
    Bill in SC

Attached Files:

2. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Those gar are some toothy critters, ain't that right :smile2: Wonder if you could make back-scratchers out of their jaws?

3. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    I have been reading your updates, Thanks. Has the water level up and down caused the slow bite?
    When I fished the PD, I found bait was the the second critical facotor on catching fish, behind water level changes. I mainly fished with bream.
    Do you mind sharing some of your bait choices. Do you have success gathering bait on the river or are you buying herring and shad?
    Thanks for the help.....

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Big Bird, we have been using cut herring and cut shad we caught in our nets this spring. We are mainly using this bait during the spring run of the blues. We also LOVE live bream and live shiners for bait. We will soon switch over to live bream and shiners, along with bream heads in our quest for flatties, as it continues to warm up. I have an old chest type freezer here at the house we are rigging up for our live bait tank, but it is real easy to catch all the bait you need ON the river, using wax worms for bait. And yes, the ever changing water levels do sometimes turn the bite off and on like a light switch. It can be very frustrating at times.
    BB in SC