Fresh Water Fish ID help needed

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by ggoytia, Sep 9, 2007.

1. ggoytia

ggoytia New Member

State:
    Texas, Fort Worth
    Guys I ws out paddling this morning and got the big skunko. On the paddle back to my truck my fishfinder went crazy and I noticed lots of bubbles in the water. Then a few fish would come up for air. I tryed and tied everything I had in my tackle box but no luck not even worms. The fish that were close enough I noticed had bright red fins and brownish scales but they moved so quick I could not really get a clear pic. I did a google search but no luck. There were so many of them at least 4 to 5 pounds. i would have loved to catch at least one and take a quick pic and let it go. Well hope my description helps. What kind of fish is it and what bait can I use.:confused2:

2. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    im not for sure what they could be...some kind of carp maybe?

3. FourWinds

FourWinds New Member

State:
    Lawton, Oklahoma
    Fish that come up for air? I don't know about that.

4. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Gus it may be a grennell, (I may not have the spilling right)Thay can and do glup air when the O2 content of the water is low.If that's what it is don't make the mistake of grabbing one by hand because they have a mouth full of long teeth.If you want to catch one just use bass bait like plugs,spinners,plastic worms ect.

5. ggoytia

ggoytia New Member

State:
    Texas, Fort Worth
    channelkatman: I was thinking i may have been a carp but by the shape and gulping the air it kinda throw me off?

FourWinds: This was a Lake Worth DFG has marked it as contaminated so maybe a fish from the Simpsons without the 3rd eye??

badkarma: The fish you mentioned grennell or Bowfish is exactly what I saw! Now th gulping air is what I cant explain?
    I tried bass plugs and white spinner jigs I guess they were not hungry with the storm on its way..Thanks for the help.

6. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    Gus,
    It could have been gar. I see a lot of them surface this time of year all over the lake. The coloration you descriped fits it to the tee. If you're not looking at just the right time, you'll miss the snout. You're best bet to catch them is either live or dead shad or perch. Or you can buy some "gar" lures. It's basically a piece of nylon rope without any hooks. Their teeth get tangled up in the rope and they can't get loose. You should be able to google and find some on the web.

7. philly'swife

philly'swife New Member

State:
    Phila. Pennsylvania

8. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    Im guessing they were carp, many don't believe but carp do feed on the surface. If you see it again get some bread and feed them haha. Then put the hook in the bread and free line it to the fish. I've seen many a carp with a red fin. Could be wrong though.

Tom

9. ggoytia

ggoytia New Member

State:
    Texas, Fort Worth
    tomcat85: Carp- I already have some toasted tortilla, a small can of corn and a old piece of french bread I will try.

philly'swife: Your right not knowing would have caused me to put my big ol thumb to lip it like a bass.

bobby-catfishing: Gar lure seems easy to make do I throw it out and reel it back in or just leave it out there? Should I add some scent to it??

Well Im gonna give it a try tommorro morning and hopefully they are biting!

10. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    Buffalo do alot of "gulping" and so do suckers. They will come to surface and "fin" alot. Try some dough bait with cheese in it.
    Seeing the airbubbles coming to surface is a way to find buffs and carp. They will root around on the bottom like a hog lookin for food.

11. edward361

edward361 New Member

State:
    Shiner Tex
    No Dought a small GAR]

12. edward361

edward361 New Member

State:
    Shiner Tex
    No doubt a small GAR

13. CatFishingFinatic

CatFishingFinatic New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Sounds like a buffalo or grass carp. I have never seen red fins on a gar. Carp will come to the surface eating the scum off the top of the water no really sucking oxygen, especially during the dog days of summer. Gar usually only come to the top of the water when they are chasing something in the shallow water. Unless of course the lake you are fishing in is getting ready to roll over, then it is hard telling what will come to the surface for air since all the oxygen in the lake is gone.

14. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Katina 30+ years ago I was bass fishing from the bank and had caught some good ones and wanted to cast farther than I had been so I waded into the muddy water past my knees.A few cast later and I had hooked the best one yet and when I got it to me I couldn't see the fish in that muddy water and for some reason I picked it up by the line and it almost scared to death when I saw that mouth full of teeth.I was trying to wade to the bank while the fish was snapping it jaws till it cut 20lb mono and I almost walked water to get to the bank.Scary??? you bet I was when I was standing croch deep in muddy water holding a fish that's doing it best to bite me.:oops:

15. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Sounds like a scene from the movie "The Toy", I can only imagine the scare you got. :eek:oooh:

16. ggoytia

ggoytia New Member

State:
    Texas, Fort Worth
    Thanks for the helps guys I was unable to paddle out this morning due to the rain and lighning. Did not want to be a kabob for the toothy critter.
    Thanks for taking the time to imput your info!

17. lbozka

lbozka New Member

State:
    Texas
    Based on your description, especially the notation about reddish fins, I'd bet a bucket of bait you were looking at run-of-the-mill (Russian) carp. When dissolved oxygen contents get too low, the fish will indeed repeatedly go to the surface to gulp oxygen.

I found some thrashing like this in the Colorado River once, many years ago, and after countless casts finally got one to strike ... of all things ... a Beetle-Spin. They are classified as "rough fish," but get one on the hook and they really define the term "rough." Ditto for the buffalo ... although they are generally not as bright red in the fins.

Over in Europe, Russian carp are regarded every bit as highly as largemouth bass are here by regular freshwater fishermen. The Europeans spend a TON of money on specialized gear to catch the things, and their fishing is almost one hundred percent catch and release.

I hosted a guy from Sweden about 15 years ago and took him to a couple of South Central Texas lakes. It didn't matter what else was biting ... all this fellow wanted to do was catch carp.

He did just that, and had a bunch of fun while he was at it.

To each his own, eh?

Good fishing,

Larry

18. ggoytia

ggoytia New Member

State:
    Texas, Fort Worth

Ibozka:
    Many Thanks you's I have one rod ready for carp and another for carp will be going out this weekend and hopefully I catch em this time!.

19. edward361

edward361 New Member

State:
    Shiner Tex
    YA'LL meen to tell me russian carp have theeth ????????

20. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    its a gar, the gar the only fish i know of that would come up for air on the surface, i learned this the other day on the discovery channel