fresh water drum

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by cnwamw, Jul 23, 2006.

1. cnwamw

cnwamw New Member

State:
    texas
    any of you guys catch any?

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

In Texas I used to catch them on accident. Never targeted them though.

3. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Been catching them on cut bluegill while channel fishing. Kind of odd, Haven't caught this many in years.

4. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Catch at least one every trip. They annoy the crap out of me.

5. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Gasper Gou are good eating, not quite the quality of catfish, but pretty damn good. Caught 9 pounder the other day. Tossed out a live 2" bream was using for channel cats and the sucker hit it almost before the bait hit the water, took out like a bat out of hades, but got him into tow with My Abu 5600.

6. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Myself and TA2D catch them all the time on cut shad. They're fun to catch, and we hear they are good eating. Never tried it though. Someone said they're related to Redfish.

SudDawg

7. marco88

marco88 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I once tried to eat the first good size one that I ever caught. In my opinion it tasted rather bad. I was expecting something like the saltwater black drum or redfish but was quite disappointed. It could have just been me or the water where it was caught.

8. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Most people I've talked to say they soak the meat in milk for awhile before they cook it. They do that to all their fish, saying it makes the meat have less of that "muddy" taste. I don't know, but I think i'm going to try it when I get back just to see if it holds any bearing.

SudDawg

9. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    My friend soaks his fish in a mixture or mustard and water, guess it helps, the drum tasted yummy, though I wonder if a mixture of vinegar and water wouldn't do the same.

10. Wildchilde01

Wildchilde01 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Soak in flat beer, season and fry tastes pretty good. Fun to catch though , Girlfriend loves to get one on the end of her rod.

11. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Drum ain't real picky about what they will hit, I've caught lots of them on plugs while bass fishing, but if you really want to target drum get you some crawdads, they really love them.

12. Randy

Randy New Member

State:
    Trinity,Texas
    I know you've herd them under the boat making kind of a grinding sound, well if it's legal in you're state you can cut open their head behind and below the eye's you'll find two disk that look's like their made of ivory. I only cut them out if I’m going to use the fish for cut bait but they are kind of neat. Several would make a nice necklace.