Fresh vs Frozen Shad question

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Salmonid, Sep 23, 2006.

1. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Ok, picked up some fresh shad last night, friderated over nite and tore up the channels this morning inbetween thunderstorms, so I thought the "boss" was gonna let me go again in the morning but I got the guilty "Go Ahead, youll do what you want to do anyways...." ( thats her way of dropping a subtle hint that I shouldnt go for those of you not married...) so the question is, how long can i keep them good in the fridge because they certainly seem to loose some aspects once they have been frozen?? Ill be headed out next weekend maybe, not sure, as it stands right now Im guiding both days but folks like to wait until the last minute and cancel so Im pretty sure Ill be getting out next weekend, will they last that long? or should I freeze them now and be done with it?

BTW, finally had a great 3 hrs this morning, with 10 channels landed average between 4-5 lbs!

Thanks

Salmonid

2. TonyJr

TonyJr New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Of course fresh is the best but you can freeze them. I have around 5 gallons of gizzard shad frozen for this winter when the bait is harder to catch. I don't know how long they will stay in the frig, but if it's more than a day or so I'd freeze them.

3. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    I would definitey freeze them after a couple of days. They seem to spoil and get soggy kinda fast.

4. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    Quick, get up from your computer and go freeze them things, fast, they won't hold up long in the fridge but will last indefinitly in the freezer.

5. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Do as I do seperate them into 4-5 per zip lock bag and put them in freezer. that way you can take a few with you and if you have a net you can catch fresh but use the frozen if you can't get any. I have had no problem with frozen shad.

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    After a day in the fridge the oils will leak out of them, better to fresh them than to leave them in the fridge for over a day.

7. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Here's a response I got on another forum to freezing shad: (greyloon is me)

greyloon wrote:
    Just wish shad would freeze better.

"Weellll, mah fren' you dun come to da rat place now! Ratchere is mah patented shad freezin' technique. Dey not as good as fresh, but dey bettah dan nun!

Put 10 lbs of ice in a cooler. Add your shad. I've done 300-400 2-3 inch shad in 10 lbs of ice. Add 1-2 lbs of kosher salt. Leave the lid open til some of the ice melts and forms a brine slurry or just add a little water. Make sure all the shad are immersed in the slurry. Close the lid and brine the shad for 24 hours. Take them out, drain them in a collander and lay them on newspaper and pat them dry with paper towels (very important) . Lay on wax paper layers on a cookie sheet individually (not touching each other) and freeze overnight. Store in a freezer bag. Take out what you need to go fishing.

They will not be as tough as fresh, but much tougher than without treatment. Great for still fishing or driftfishing. Not so great in stiff current.

Kim"

Kim is a former offshore fishing boat captain and fellow kayak fishing catfisherman. He knows more about keeping baitfish than anyone I know.

8. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    It'd take less time to just go catch fresh bait for every trip. :roll_eyes:

9. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    But, its not always easy to catch fresh bait. There are some places I fish that do not produce good catches in the net, but do produce good catfish. So, preserving baitfish by freezing can be a good thing, but don't know if I want to do it in great quantity.

10. TonyJr

TonyJr New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Has anyone ever tried to do the vacuum seal thing (food saver)? It may work better.

11. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Nice if you have one, but I'd rather get a new reel or a couple of rods.