Fresh skipjack

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by bnt55, Aug 31, 2008.

1. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    I was wondering what you guys do when you are netting for bait and catch some skipjack, since they will not stay alive in the bait tank what do you do with them? If they are gonna get used that day should I just keep em on ice until used or try and keep em in the bait tank?

Thanks
    Bill

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I'd just keep them on ice. Never had any luck at all keeping them alive. Whenever I catch them I always throw them straight on ice until I get home to get them bagged up to freeze them.
    Good Luck with them and I hope you catch a bunch!

3. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    I would put them on ice but after I bagged them or put them into some kind of container. Doing this would prevent washing some of the precious oils away from there body and saturating them with water from the ice. Just my two cents worth !!!!! Dont know if I am right but it does make sense if ya think about it. Tight lines to ya !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:wink:

4. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Put them on ice and what you don't use vacume seal them and then freeze.

5. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Definately put them on ice when you catch them and bag as soon as you are done catching bait. that way the oils dont get washed off. if possible bag them up and then catch a few more and fish nearby with your live skips cuz they will stay alive a few mins and try them live. i used to catch them at the discharge you get yours from and i would throw out a pole with a live one there. a lot of times i would catch a fish and sometimes i wouldnt.

6. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    If you are going to fish with them....put them in a baggie and place under the ice. The fresher the better this time of year. Live is even better!!! I usually dont ever freeze them. I just catch fresh whenever I go fishing. Thats one good thing about the cumberland river system....plenty of skipjacks. Even in the winter!:cool2:

7. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    Johnny

Do you fish for catfish even during the winter on the C river since it remains the same temp year round? Kinda curious how it would effect you guys that fish that river.

8. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    i got a big tourny this sat. in louisville! so i went lookin for shad for bait on the ohio river. theres oodles of small stuff everywhere 3-5 in.! the skippys have really had a great spawn! but ive never had any luck on that lil stuff so i had to locate a bigger school of shad! and i found them on a shallow point! we got (35) 12-16in. gizzard shad and mooneye! plus i got a freind thats bringin me some fresh cumberland river skippys, i think ill be set!

oh yea!

bnt55! if you havent fished in the winter your missin out on some of the best action!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U24fH8x7GFA

9. john catfish young

State:
    Kentucky
    We do fish year round on the Cumberland river system. It doesn't remain the same temps though. Right now Lake Barkley is at 82 degrees. In a few short weeks it will be much cooler and by January it will be as cool as 40 degrees maybe. We fish for Big Flatheads in the spring, summer , & Fall and in the winter, we change locations to the main river channel and go after Big Bluecats and Channels.:big_smile:

10. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Bag em and put under ice sounds like the way to do it ! I need to do it that way . Should you cut them up before freezing ? I have been but don't know seems its easier to take out what I think I might need .

11. john catfish young

State:
    Kentucky
    I wouldn't cut them until ready to bait up. Save all the good juices that way.:big_smile:

12. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Lance,
    I gotta agree with John on this. If you cut them up beforehand all the juices will be out of them and IMO they are more mushy. I bag them whole and freeze them that way. I usually only put a couple or so depending on the size in a bag so that way I waste less.

13. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    Good luck Steve !!! I hope you do well !!!

14. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Thanks for the wise info guys ! I appreciate it ! I will just put a few in each bag or so .:cool2:

15. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    anyone still getting skipps?

16. Capt.mike jr

Capt.mike jr New Member

State:
    ohio
    I keep mine on ice also

17. Mean Streak

Mean Streak New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Are there any skipps below Kentucky or Barkley biting now? The Ohio has a bunch of LITTLE ones but they are slow right now.

18. tswebb71

tswebb71 New Member

State:
    So. IL
    I went to KY dam last fri. and got skunked!!:sad2: However, I moved over to Barkley and caught 30 in about 3 hours.