Fresh Shad or Frozen Skip Jacks?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by tbull, Nov 24, 2008.

1. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Hey guys, this is a question I get ask, and ask alot myself. to be honest, I don't believe deep down that skipjacks are going to out fish fresh shad any day of the week. I dont think one is necessarily more productive than the other. I understand wanting to have skips, trust me I want some myself, but it kind of seems to me that skips are better more for the convenience of having bait on hand, rather than having to catch it yourself. Don't get me wrong, I think frozen skips will outfish frozen shad anyday, but to me frozen skips and "fresh" shad produce the same results. What do you guys think???:beat_shot: Change my mind, take a shot...:smile2:

2. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    yeah what you said :smile2: i personaly have caught more cats on fresh shad then skips

3. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I just posted about our trip yesterday, hooked 2 blues on skippies ( frozen) and had a lot of short bites on frozen shad, but never a tap on the fresh shad yesterday???? Just didnt make sense to me. I would say I get more fish on shad but in relation, I fish waaaaay more shad ( fresh most of the time) so that makes sense. I havent caught a lot blues but all came half on shad and half on skippies, the biggest ones came on skippies ( gut pocket preferred) I think its the bigger bait ( fist size) that triggers the bigger fish to come around and anyone who has cut a gut pocket of a 15" skippie will know the blood amount is much higher then a simillar sized shad.and guts.

Salmonid

4. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    It makes sense Mark your right, only problem is the 2 biggest fish in my boat, a 55lb blue came off half of a 6 inch shad, and a 50lb flatty the same way. You are absolutley right though, you can get bigger baits from skips, I tell ya what though, my boat looked like a crime scene Saturday night, those shad were really gushing some blood for sure...:eek:oooh:

5. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    Well, the biggest flathead I ever caught was somewhere in the 40's and it was also caught on fresh cut small gut pocket. Now, as for the shad/skippy thing. When I went out with Tim Lang who kinda showed us the ropes on Blue fishing he said that when the water temprature was above 50 degrees he felt that fresh shad was just as good as any bait on earth for blues including skipjack but when the water temp dives down below the 50 degree mark he just seemed to think the skippies would outperform shad hands down. Winter fishing for blues I would rather have skippies any day of the week. Spring summer fall, its just hard to beat a nice big bloody quivering shad. I do agree with Tim because, well have you seen his resume? LOL.

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I really think that you need to have both available during any fishing trip. Find out what they are biting on. I know that this is not rocket science, just my way of thinking. When fishing the big rivers, I have had much more success with the skips, however small water usually produces better on the shad

7. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Not bad Robin, but I am still not convinced!:wink::smile2::smile2:

8. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Oh and its good to see ya back bud..:wink:

9. repoman3809

repoman3809 New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi
    Shad are so sensitive to water temp, you would think they would be a more available food resource. We've all heard about massive shad die offs in the winter. This would leave a feeding bonanza. Even if its not a massive die off, you have to assume a ton die over the winter, thus becoming a more seen food source for the blues/channels. Course does that mean its what they prefer? Feed me Mickey D's for a month straight, then flash a steak in front of me....think I'm eating the steak.

10. repoman3809

repoman3809 New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi
    Also I dont think being frozen hurts that much. If you thaw out and then cook a little bit right before dropping in. Think about it, what happens when you heat up any food? You get the juices flowing and get a heavy scent. Flats need live moving bait. Blues/channel dont feed off live moving bait as much, probably attracted by the scent more.

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I fished alot of skipjack a few years ago on my home river, never ever got a bite on it.

But then again there is no skipjack in my river:wink: