Fresh Shad/Frozen Shad

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by basinmaster, Nov 8, 2007.

1. basinmaster

basinmaster New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Hey Guys,

Do you notice any difference in catch rates with fresh caught shad compared to frozen shad. I sometimes have a hardtime catching fresh shad, but can always buy frozen whole shad. I have caught on both fresh and frozen, but never tried both baits at the same time to actually compare catch rates.

2. caneycat

caneycat New Member

State:
    Texas
    Fresh is going to be better, but i catch and freeze shad all the time! I use frozen more than i use fresh because i can not all ways get fresh, so i gess it just depends on what you can get.

3. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Fresh will beat frozen 99.9% of the time. That being said frozen shad is better than no shad.

4. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I agree, fresh is the way to go, but if you ain't got no fresh, frozen will do you just fine. I have caught both my PB's on frozen.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I won't even give shad a place in the freezer. When it thaws it's red, mushy, doesn't stay on the hook well, and the fish don't seem to like it.

6. LBCatter

LBCatter New Member

State:
    Virginia
    a couple of buddies and me actually tried it one night one side of the boat we used frozen and the other fresh for every 3 fish we caught on fresh we would get one on frozen. I also am not always willing to go catch more bait when i have a ton in the freezer so i tend to use frozen more often but fresh bait normally outproduces forzen. Although when you have a kill of shad thats when the temps in the shallower water drops if the shad dont make it to the deeper water where its cooler they die, here the stinkier the better.
    Yet I agree with 777 frozen is better than none. Happy fishin!

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I'm sure there are a lot of different opinions out there, but personally, I'd go to cured chicken livers, fresh livers, bacon, or salt pork before I'd use frozen shad.

8. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    I've had really good luck with frozen, but, it is frozen alive still wiggling when I freeze it. Re freezing shad DOES NOT work.

9. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    They say fresh is the best, but I have had alot of success with frozen bait. I just use what I can.

10. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i just throw them in a bag with no water and freeze them i used them yesterday and they was not mushy or red and stayed on hood like a fresh one. also i put fresh ones in a bag with no water in the fridge if im using them the next day. i think the water makes them slime and mushy.

11. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Up until this week I've never had the chance to use fresh shad - no place around here sells 'em, and I didn't have a castnet to get my own, so I had to use frozen that I could buy at the lake...

Did pretty good on it too, compared to everything else I've tried (nightcrawlers, liver, stink baits, etc.)...the only times I had problems with it getting mush was when it would thaw and then re-freeze and thaw again - turned into jelly then.

Got a castnet at wallyworld this week and am working on learning how to toss it, so hopefully when spring rolls around I'll be using my own fresh shad...

12. CatAngler

CatAngler New Member

State:
    Omaha NE
    I do just as well when fishing for Blues & Channels with fresh cut bait and frozen cut bait. I don't ever refreeze a cut bait though.

J

13. Klag

Klag New Member

State:
    Georgia
    If you have access to a food saver, or vacuum saver of any kind - your shad can be frozen and used many months later and it's near impossible to tell the difference between the fresh/frozen.

When I first got my food saver, we tested this exact thing (because we are lazy, and if we didn't have to catch fresh shad each time well that made it even better!). We fished the fresh and vacuum saved shad side by sde (for a good week or two) and there was no difference in texture or catch rate when fished side by side.

Since then we pretty much only use the frozen (easy to chum with too, can throw a frozen chunk really far) and the days we catch the fresh ones - we have no more success.

We seal them in the bag with no water, no air, then freeze. Works like a charm. I now have an old food saver I keep in the garage for just this.

EDIT: Wanted to point out that we either catch fresh live shad, or buy fresh live herring and then vacuum save/freeze. We do not start with dead shad or frozen bait available at baitshops.

14. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i will take fresh when i can get it, but i always keep some frozen in the freezer. i usually do just as good on either one. a month ago i did a side by side and did fine on stripers mostly. there were a bunch of stripers in there, and not a lot of cats. or there could have been too many stripers. i think it has to do a lot with the circumstances. we were fishing a tailrace where the turbines were sucking schools of shad in from the lake side. shad were coming down in chunks, and the fish were definitely being conditioned to eating dead baits. normally in our side by side comparisons, fresh will outfish frozen, at least by a few fish.

15. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    I will have to get vacuum sealer and try what you say. I think you have something. I never have had any luck with frozen bait.