Fresh or Frozen

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by WHISKER BENDER, Aug 20, 2006.

1. WHISKER BENDER

WHISKER BENDER New Member

State:
    n.c.
    I did really good when the shad were running with fresh cut shad.I 've been using frozen shad since and not getting as good of results.Is it the bait or is it just to hot?:cool2:

2. bigcatJoe

bigcatJoe New Member

State:
    indiana
    Fresh bait is the best thing you can use. but when you can't get fresh bait I use frozen bait it better then nothing.

3. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Shad is never as good after being frozen, in my opinion fresh bait is the best bait!

4. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    fresh bait is the best but have caught plenty of big cats in the winter on VACUME sealed shad....

If you use a vacume sealer to seal the shad they will stay fresh....

In the spring when I catch the shad I immediately vacume seal my shad and immediately freeze them, when we thaw them and cut them they still bleed and the meat is still firm enough to stay on the hook.

5. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    We have done the same exact thing. I feel that fresh bait is always the best, and in the warmer months you NEED fresh or live bait, BUT in the Winter frozen bait can be good, esspecially vacuum sealed.

6. Bigdan99

Bigdan99 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I usually catch a lot of shad and freeze them and never have any luck with them, and I'll try the vacuum seal deal. It can't bring me any worse luck.

7. young catfisherman

young catfisherman New Member

State:
    ohio
  8. Fishing Fred

Fishing Fred New Member

State:
    Lillington, N.C
    Bigdan, I don't have a vaccum packer but when we are catching shad that we are planning to freeze we never put them directly on ice or into water. We put them straight into freezer bags, squeeze as much air out as possible and put them into a cooler and cover with ice. They do good this way also. Goona be looking at yard sales for a vaccum sealer thing though.

9. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Fresh is best, but I have had luck with frozen too. Frozen would be my 2nd choice, but it still works.

10. WHISKER BENDER

State:
    n.c.
  11. WHISKER BENDER

State:
    n.c.
    Thanks for the help guys.Guess i,ll be lookin a vaccum sealer.

12. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    Don't get me wrong fresh bait is the best if it's available but there are times when its 10 degrees out, cant find the shad and don't want to get soaking wet messing with the cast net, thats when we use our frozen shad....sometimes the shad are just want those fat hungry blues are looking for.

Vacume sealers work great....

I have had two the first one was from black and decker it sold for about $40.00. It did a fair job but it didn't pull ALL the air out. The second one was a food saver this one was about $80.00. This one worked very good we experimented and put a aluminum can in the bag, the power form the vacume actually crushed the can. You can step up from that one and get the fully automatic vacume sealer for $100 and up, but the one I got works great for me....

Like i said previously when we thaw them and cut them they still bleed and are firm and not soggy.

In the interest of time and to keep this post from becoming two pages long
    there are some other tips I can offer if anybody is interested just pm me.

13. Bobwheelr

Bobwheelr New Member

State:
    NC
    Fresh is always best but sometimes hard to get, when i use frozen shad i use 3 drops of shad oil on about 10 pcs of cut shad. if you use shad spray only one spray and mix good. You can find oil or spray at any store selling fishing tackle.