Fresh Cut Bait Versus Frozen

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by Rivercat09, Jul 28, 2007.

1. Rivercat09

Rivercat09 New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Please help me!

I had went out yesterday July 27th onto the Potomac river to try my hand at cut bait for some big blues. We launched from Fort Washington at about 9am. The tide was running and going out. I tried jigging a sabiki along the docks with no luck for some fresh bait with no luck. I had the cast net with me, but did not try it, as am new with using cast nets, and I hadn’t practices in a couple months. As a back up, I had some thawed and previously frozen white perch.

We first tried the 35-foot mark just south of the Fort Washington lighthouse for about an hour and a half with no luck. We then moved up to Smoot’s Bay and set up in about 25 feet. We set out our two baits of cut perch, and to get the skunk out of the box, we each fish livers with second rods. We did catch about 6 small channels, but nothing would take the cut, previously frozen bait. Nothing, that is, until a 29 ½ inch gar took one of the baits.

We tries Smoot’s for about an hour an a half all told, and then moved to the 18 foot mark just below the Wilson Bridge, and just below the spoils. We fished here for about an hour, moved to the spoils and fished it for about an hour. We could not coax a thing on either livers or the cut bait.

I know this is kind of a stupid question, but should I be using fresh bait exclusively? Am I wasting my time using previously frozen?? I would appreciate any advice.

2. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    absolutley not. fresh bait is always best but frozen bait will work too if it's all you have. i know it has saved a couple of fishing trips for my buds and i. my only advice would be to try a different choice of bait like shad or herring.

3. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    I like to vacum pack skipjacks, They don't get freezer burnt. Fresh is alway's best though.But for the times when you can't get fresh bait frozen is better then nothing . Good subject...

4. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    i havent really seen a differnace in bites with channels using frozen and fresh. ive cought them on both, altho channels do eat anything from soap to stick bait so it might just be the fish dont care. lol

5. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I have to agree that fresh cut bait will always out perform frozen. However, if forced to use frozen cut bait, in my opinion, use baitfish that have the most mucus or slime to it such as Shad,Skipjack, River Eels and trout if legal in your waters. I believe the bigger catfish are attracted to the slime and blood coming from the bait.

6. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I've used frozen shad quite a bit when I can't catch fresh, but once it's been thawed I chuck it. It tends to get mushy if frozen and thawed repeatedly.

7. GUNTZ

GUNTZ New Member

State:
    CLEBURNE texas
    FRESH IA ALWAYS BETTER ,BUT MAN HAS TO DO WHAT MAN HAS TO DO

8. EricM

EricM Active Member

State:
    Harrison TN
    Name:
    Eric Maurer
    Rivercat09, not a stupid question at all. This is just from personal experience, but I have a lot of it, and I have not found much, if any, difference in fresh or frozen bait for blue catfish. I have caught 688 blue cats this year up to 84 lbs, the vast majority of them on frozen skipjack, threadfin and gizzard shad, redhorse sucker, and bluegill. I leave the bait frozen and saw chunks off with a knife (be careful!) or a poultry/game shears and let the popsicles thaw on my hook, releasing the blood and scent as it thaws. The cats don't seem to care about the cold and will hit it right away sometimes! Good fishing!

9. Rivercat09

Rivercat09 New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Thanks!! From what I've read, the full moon had more to do with the slow fishing than anything else. I was apparently doing everything else right. The fishing was even slow for channels, my forte. Keeping the fish frozen, and therefore the blood frozen, makes a lot of sense too. I have a couple frozen spot that I should try tomorrow when we take the canoe out. Thanks again!!

10. catfishtonyd

catfishtonyd New Member

State:
    georgia
    I must agree with about everyone else. I think fresh is the best but around where I live I can buy frozen at a real good price so I usually use it. When I do buy live blue back herring I always freeze what I have left over. Works great for me.

11. Rivercat09

Rivercat09 New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Thanks you to everyone for the feedback. I'll get fresh bait if I can, but won't hesitate to use frozen if need be. We fished last Thursday, and had luck with both. My buddy caught a 19 pounder on a piece of frozen white perch. I caught a 37 pounder (my ne PB) on fresh bluegill.