FRESH CATFISH

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by catoon, Sep 24, 2009.

1. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    does any one ever cook there catfish they catch on a open fire right there on the bank when a mess is caught ? if yes how are some ways you cook them and if no why not you scared lol lmao

2. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    I generally prefer to just bite their heads off Ozzy style with a side of ketchup!

Actually I have never had the chance to cook them up as I caught them, but this is the procedure our forefathers followed for thousands of years can't imagine anything better than a cool river, hot fire and fried catfish! Well other than a pretty girl doing the cooking!:big_smile:

3. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    I have been in some situation were the only thing you eat is what you can catch or kill, I caught some fish they weren't catfish but I caught a couple and I rotisseried em over a hot bed of coals until its skin fell of and the meat started to flake. but considering you won't be in this situation :smile2: I'd say either wrap them in some foil and bake em over the fire or if you have a grill plate over the fire you can lay the foil down on there but cut slits into it so the fire hit's it and sears it a little. I use foil because I don't trust the rusted grillz I usually find at the campgrounds unless I bring my own. try it out and lemme know what you think

4. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    me and my uncle used to every trip, catch em skin em fry em eat em

5. billyballard

billyballard New Member

State:
    Dugger,Indiana
    I havnt done it with catfish but when i used to guide for crappie and bass I would fillet some crappie and put them in foil with some garlic butter and lemon pepper and lay them in the coals of a fire and they would taste delicious...

6. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Have done the same with channels when camping, just add some fried taters and onions along with some camp pone and uuummm, you got a real deal meal:smile2::smile2::smile2: Stay safe and stick a pig!!!:wink:

7. festus

festus New Member

Once we were catfishing on the Tennessee River, had a few pots and a Coleman stove, some salt and pepper, you know, the basics. We were drinking some old cheap white jug wine, something like Gallo which was $6.00 a gallon. We got very hungry and decided to boil some catfish in the white wine. It was pretty dang good, we salted and peppered it and ate it along with some potato chips and I was so surprised.

I don't trout fish very much, but can eat them if they're prepared in foil packets and stuffed with finely chopped onion, salted and peppered real good with some butter, lemon juice, and a tad of beer in the packet. Don't care much for them fried or grilled at home. Have had catfish on the grill before, but like it best if prepared the same way I just described about the trout.

8. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I agree but I add a little Tonys Cajun also. We do this on float trips when
    you do not have the room and do not want the weight of cooking utensils
    or stove.