Fresh Bait

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by StankBaitHooker, Feb 6, 2008.

1. StankBaitHooker

StankBaitHooker New Member

State:
    Clemson SC
    I caught a couple breams today, whats the best way to keep them fresh for this weekend? Keep them on ice or place them straight in the frige. Thanks

2. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    The best thing would be to keep them alive. I will be catching some tomorrow and will keep them in the bait tank outside for the next few outings.

Icing them or placing them in the fridge is ok. The better bet is vacuum sealing them and freezing them.

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Alive is the best bet............however if they are already dead then I would say to vacum seal if available and keep them in the fridge. Since you are not going to be storing them for an extended amount of time, then there is no need to freeze. Whether zip lock or vacum seal make sure you leave a small amount of water in the package to keep the fish good and hydrated.

4. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    what they said!:wink:

5. StankBaitHooker

State:
    Clemson SC
    Yeah i was unable to keep them alive because i was unprepared and not on my boat, so i just tossed em in a bag i had, they are on ice now, dont have a vac but thanks alot guys.

6. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Bluegills are very tough. You can keep them alive in a 5 gallon bucket for a good while if you don't have a baitwell handy. Freshen up the water occasionally and they will stay alive even longer.

7. WillyMan

WillyMan New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    What is the truth about placing them in a zip lock bag and adding some water in it and then placing it into the deep freezer; is there any truth to doing that?

8. WillyMan

WillyMan New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    We got out Monday on Wateree and pulled in 3 nice cats and a perch. We put the top up a few times during the quick showers but had a blast on the water. I had planned on heading back out Tuesday but was unable to... I cryed that whole day as I helped the wife out and felt that awsome sun hitting me in the face..:confused2:. Did anyone go out Tuesday? Please, just tell me what I missed:sad2:

9. StankBaitHooker

State:
    Clemson SC
    I know some of yall say there is no bait too big, but for live blue gills what is an ideal size (inches long) to place on your hook to catch lets say a 30 + lb. cat. Thanks

10. catchaser1

catchaser1 Active Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    I dont think there's a magic number, of course you dont want one the size of a minnow. Just remember the bigger the bream or gill the bigger the hook. If you get one too big for the hooks you are using you want have very good odds when they do latch on, just my opinion.

11. StankBaitHooker

State:
    Clemson SC
    Cool man thanks for the advice.

12. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "...but for live blue gills what is an ideal size (inches long) to place on your hook to catch lets say a 30 + lb. cat..."

The truth is that no bluegill is too big, but if I was fishing live bluegill I would be using ones that are 3"-4". A 30 pound blue or flathead can easily consume any bluegill you throw out there.

13. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    The bigger the bluegill the better. I like to use full grown bream/shellcracker and bury a 08 circle hook about 1/2 inch down from the top of their back and just fwd. of the dorsal fin. If you are lucky enough to find some redbreast,these are like candy to flatheads at Santee during the warm months. When I can get live bream like this I dont even bother with using perch.

14. StankBaitHooker

State:
    Clemson SC
    Thanks again, all useful stuff to me.

15. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    Good advice. Well said.