Fresh bait

Discussion in 'MARYLAND RIVER TALK' started by photocat, Dec 24, 2005.

1. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    Bunker Dunker, you were talking about getting Herring and Mud Shad with a cast net... I don't need too many details(i know you don't like giving away secret spots), like coordinates but what waters are you getting them from in the spring? How deep? reachable from shore or do i need to borrow a boat?

2. Bunker Dunkers

Bunker Dunkers New Member

State:
    College Park
    Photocat,

Sorry that I missed this and the other post, I usually enter the site thru that long running thread. We cast net the MD tidal portion of the Anacostia and N.W. Branch. You can pitch them from shore, but expect to shred at least one net on the underwater snags. Be careful too, to check the tidal/ non-tidal demarcation line, because you aren't allowed to throw the cast in the non-tidal portion, only dip nets. Not sure what part of Howard you're in, but the Patuxent from Upper Marlboro thru Bowie ought to get the same migration run.

Good luck,
    Bob

3. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    i thought the nontidal Reg was that your allowed up to a 5 foot cast net? i know its not in the rule book (don't get me started on that one) but from my dealings with the DNR at local lakes i found out it is legal (as long as its not in a trout stocked or special management area.... )

4. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    There's no Mention of Castnets anywhere in the rules except for the rule saying if its not mentioned its illegal unless there's a rule (It is unlawfull/illegal 11. To use a gig, gig iron, nets, seines, fish pots or other fishing rigs, except as provided for by law or regulation.)... Doesn't make sense does it?...

From talking with officers (after getting yelled at for using it) i found out the regulation is 5 foot radius... Now in Tidal its i think a 10 foot... (IN TIDAL WATERS OF THE STATE IT IS LAWFUL:4. to use a cast net (up to 10 feet in radius) in the Chesapeake Bay and tributaries where nets are permitted) that includes the Potomac and i believe that the Blue Plains Hot Water discharge is in MD waters (correct me if im wrong) so fresh shad should be plenty available there and legal to take by castnet and have plenty to spare for the rest of the year as well... Now all i need is the boat to get there... hmmmmm

5. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Ok Guys here it is right from DNR officer Dianne Samuels of DNR fisheries service.
    I ask her by email last nite about using a cast nets in my boat for baits at all of our tournament sites and heres the rules right from the laws of maryland.
    This is the rules from 4-618 to 4-620 in the maryland fishing laws for nets.

The only net an individual can use recreationally in all tidal water is a cast net which has a radius no larger than 10' to catch bait(4-618).

In nontidal waters nonresidents may not fish with nets of any description. Landing nets are excluded from this prohibition. (4-618)

in nontridal waters , an individual can use a seine or dip net that is 4x6 or less to catch bait fish (4-619)

Dip nets may be used in nontidal waters in allegheny aand washington counties and the monocacy and potomac rivers in carroll and frederick counties ( 4-620).

dip nets may not be used in the Susquehanna upstream of deer creek (08.02.05.01)

Dip nets may not be used within 50 yards of the mouth of any river or tibutary or base of a dam ( 4-620)

dip nets may not be used in any waters of the state that are stocked with trout (4-620)

dip nets may not be used to fish for trout, walleye, striped bass, northern pike, black bass or musky Nets other than a landing net, cannot be used in deer creek (08.02.11.08)

So as you see it doesn't say bank only i made a call after i got this to one of the officers that run the waters on the lower potomac. Well lets just say he'S not up on the rule. He was going to check the law books himself and get back with me. But he did say that Mrs. Samuels would be the one to ask she handles the fishing laws for maryland at the Annapolis Office.
    If you would like her Email or number to check for yourself it is dsamuels@dnr.state.md.us phone # 410-260-8273

6. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Hey Photocat Maryland waters start at Jones point on the VA side and run across to fox ferry point on the MD side. Blue plains is in DC waters.

Attached Files:

7. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    Tim,

Yeah i was looking at Blue plains on a couple different maps and some have part of that area as MD waters, others have it as DC waters... I guess DNR wouldn't allow me one time based on an incorrect map...

Although you see what i mean about those rules? Non Tidal doesn't say anything about a size limit or restriction based for the cast net for residents, only on the dipnet... From the one i talked to i heard it was 5 ft but others said it wasn't allowed because it was a trout stocked lake... The problem is they are enforcing regulations that they themselves don't know. Sigh... im almost thinking of getting the official listings and making multiple copies on water proof paper to put in my fishing bag to keep with me and show the officers if they ever give me grief... Heck the first time the officer didn't know the regulations and asked to see if i had the fishing guide book given out... i didn't but one of the other fisherman who backed me up did...

All i want is bait, the same forage fish that the fish are eating, they aren't gamefish and if they are (sunfish) i won't take more then the limit (i believe its 25 or something like that... dk off the top of my head). Any other bycatch gets thrown back immediately as was the case w/ 2 eating sized crappie i caught the first time DNR talked w/ me... I wasn't looking for food, just bait and crappie wasn't on the plate for my bait... heck i only caught one sunfish and that was taken by a fish while i was talking with the nice officer.

Sigh, i guess i should just go down to Jug Bay and castnet for shad if i can before it gets too warm out, load the freezer with a few for bait later on in the year.

8. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Ya photocat I'm right there with you every officer is seem reads the rules different here. So I will have a copy of the email in my boat at all times this year. when I'm casting for bait with a 10' cast net and if one was to stop and say anything i will have to ok right from DNR its self. I know they hard a hard job at times most people just may it hard on themselfs when they do get stoped. But hell if every officer see the rules a different way and most cant even answer anything about the nets. Well then now are we to know what we can and cannot do with them.
    I know Maryland fishing rules for Dummy's old school 101 even when i talked to the officer that runs the waters around Fort washington he was lost on the law. He said well you can in some parts of tidal waters and not others. But he didnt know right on hand witch part was realy off limits. So very soon i will hit the water with 10' net and see how long it takes before I get stoped.

9. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    Do you know if they made any changes in the rules from last years rule book?

I think its pathetic that the officers don't know the rules at all... its like police officers not knowing what the speed limit on the road they are driving (truthfully i think some really don't) *sigh*

10. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    I don't no Bryan I was told the 2006 fishing books would be out in March. I did email DNR to see about the big law book to look things up myself.

11. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    i checked w/ Walmart yesterday to see if they had reg books yet... no luck... i'll check a few other places the next few days to see if they have them... DNR should have them done before 1/1 of that year so fisherman know the rules if they have the chance to get out early in the year

12. jonnycat

jonnycat New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I'm not positive of the regulations, but I normally use an 8ft cast net in water over 20ft deep because of the fast sinking and more area covered. I keep a 6ft, 5ft, and short piece of gill net if the oppurtunity allows itself to use any of these because the 8ft'er is so heavy and wears me out. I have found that if the bait is located, I need to have the proper net to retrieve said bait regardless of water depth. My buddy and myself fished the Potomac some 45 miles from the Wilson Bridge in early January. We located bait from 30-40ft deep and he used his 10ft net which has a longer rope from the factory. We were able to get enough bait to fish with without too much trouble. I havn't ever attempted the 10ft'er but I do fair with the 8ft'er. All this said, I prefer to be on a boat so if I get hung(and it often happens), I am usually able to get it free from the snag without too much damage to the net. After I have been to a "bait hole" once or twice, I will try to throw in the same general spot after I find the snag-free areas so as to eliminate the posibility of hanging up. I suppose I have rambled enough again, so I'll close for now. Until next time---jonnycat

13. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Anybody been out around blue plains? Are the herring & shad up around there hoping to hit the river next week. Time is something I dont have alot of right now need to find bait fast and get some fishing in. Bryan let me know about next week maybe we can wet some lines.

14. jonnycat

jonnycat New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I will ask you to forgive my ignorance, but where is the area you refer to as Blue Plains? I have not been in the last three weeks. Until then I could easily get plenty bait on the outside bend at Ft Belvoir right up next to the channel edge in roughly 20-25ft or water. The shad have been there since the first week of December if they have not moved yet. Once I have located them in the before mentioned water depths, it only takes a couple or so throws to have plenty to fish with that day or the next time or two as well. The last trip I took was up just above Ft Washington where I found balls of bait(same depths) in the mouth of the creek on the right just up from the parking lot on the hillside. I like to get my bait fresh each trip when at all possible. I have always been a live-bait fisherman until about 16 yrs ago when I was turned on to Blue Catfish. Since then, its been preferably fresh cut herring first, fresh cut shad, live white perch and so on down the chain. During the warmer months. I like to hype the white perch up on oxygen so when they hit the water they are sending all kinds of vibrations. This method usually makes the effort worthwhile. Hope this helps with your situation, but if not, I'm sure the shad are on the channel edges in deeper water. I just got off the phone with my buddy from down near Richmond who hits the James pretty much. He said the bait is hanging out in the same basic water depths down where he has been fishing. Let me know what the outcome and we'll zero in more so if necessary. Hope to see you on the water soon---jonnycat

15. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Blue plains is right above the ww bridge in DC waters where the outlet pipe is. The herring and shad hand out there by the truch loads in the warmer water. Sometime theres to many herrin and shad in that water to even fish for cats around there. Its the fisrt place i see the herring before they head up to chain brigde I will tell you guys why after the March 4th tournament. But I will post next week when I get out and see how things are doing. Only 16 Days guys and its time to get it on at Fort Washington. I had alot of call in the last week we will have a great turn out. Hope to see alot of BOC brothers and sisters there if not fishing then to watch the big cats weighed in.

16. jonnycat

jonnycat New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Thanks for that 411 Tim. Now another question for you. Is there a Washington DC fishing permit and if so, how do I obtain one? Guess that is two questions. Thanks again and see you soon---jonnycat

17. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Yes jonnycat you will need a DC fishing license above the WW bridge. After the tournament i will show you some great spots in dc that hold loads of 20lb plus blues. You can call 202-535-2260 DC fisheries & wildlife division to see where you can get them. Seems every year somebody different has them they was talk about them online but i havn't seen that so far.

18. h3ohawaii

h3ohawaii New Member

State:
    maryland
    Tim,

The shad were thick at BP last Saturday...no herring yet.

19. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Great Marty got to get down there before the tourny and pick up some. I got your entry form today also see you guys at the ramp

20. h3ohawaii

h3ohawaii New Member

State:
    maryland
    outstanding...we'll be there. Went out Saturday and the wind sucked. We did manage a few down current of the powerplant. The plant wasnt discharging water though as the water temp was about 41 degrees.