Fresh Bait

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by catchaser1, Aug 1, 2006.

1. catchaser1

catchaser1 Active Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    Is it a real advantage to keep herring alive before you cut them up for cut bait, in a bait tank. A tank is alot of trouble, so is it worth it?

2. FLAT

FLAT New Member

State:
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    IT is well worth the trouble to keep them alive.I used to think there was no difference in fresh dead and fresh cut,but there is.Had my butt handed to me by my fishing buddy.I told him I could catch just as many on dead cut herring as he could on fresh cut live herring--after about 45 mins and three cats later,I had to eat crow--I put on fresh cut,took the ribbing he gave me and never looked back.Fresh cut is way better.

3. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    The more fresh the better. I think would still be able to catch fish with dead ones, as I often use frozen cut bait, but I always have better luck with the good fresh stuff.

4. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    You would be suprized at how good whole dead herring works, fresh of course.I dont use them after theyve been on ice more than 24 hours though they start to get mushy after a while once they get like that its small channel cat bait then or chum.

5. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Eww' that mushy stuff is nasty! I like to use live herring for blues, or fresh cut heads or mid sections. It depends on how big the herring is. If it is 4-5 inches I use a drop shot rig. I would prefer live to dead when fishing for blues. Dead will work just as well on channels and flattys for me.

6. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    cut one that is alive in half then cut one that has been on ice for acouple of hrs. then youve got your answer.the live will bleed alot more than one that has been on ice.

7. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    fresh cut still has the juices flowing

8. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "Fresh" is a relative term.

If it has been frozen or on ice for two days we don't call that "fresh", but is it fresh if it died a couple of hours ago? I think so. I think the main thing is that if you can get them alive at the beginning of the trip and they die while you are out you will do better than if you show up with bait that has been dead for hours or days.

Personally, if the bite is hot it does not matter. The first time I used blueback they had been on ice for several days and we caught 22 blues. In my book that is a good day. I tried using them a few days later and the blueback I had were purchased alive. They died while on the boat and we caught very few fish on them, but the bite that night was kinda slow.

So, "fresher the better" is the best, but you need to fish with what you have.

9. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I built my baittank this spring. Really no trouble at all.. less than $50 and I can keep my bait nice and frisky all day/nite .... They are less of a problem than you may think....

10. weathermantrey

weathermantrey New Member

State:
    central,sc
    It's not worth trying to keep them alive, we just wait as long as possible to go get them before we fish, as long as they have been on ice for less than 8 to 12 hours, they'll work fine. We tried live herring ealrier this year and couldn't catch a thing on them.

11. catchaser1

catchaser1 Active Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    I just didnt know if it was worth the trouble; We keep them alive till we cut them up; But if they bite herring just as good that been on ice a couple of hrs, its alot less trouble and quieter.

12. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    more quiet? what do you mean.

13. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    He means loud areators runnin.

14. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    would you rather eat a bologna sandwich thats fresh or one thats laid out in the sun for awhile lol of course fresh the fresher the better if nothin else put it on live and cut the tail off even better still kickin and bloody too yum

15. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Smart man! LOL!

16. Dizzy

Dizzy New Member

State:
    kings,mtn N.C.
    The fresher the better is what i say when im fishin

i have a homemade bait tank i designed myself that works pretty good
    and didnt cost an arm and a leg lol i can keep blueback herring alive fer two to four days if it aint too HOT outside :cool2: