Fresh Bait for Blues

Discussion in 'IOWA RIVERS TALK' started by Mrquickset, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Mrquickset

Mrquickset New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Anyone out there know how to acquire fresh bait to cut for blues this time of year?

2. MO RIVER MAN

MO RIVER MAN New Member

State:
    IOWA
    You can get a pretty good throw net at walmart for 25 bucks. And just throw it in the shallows or in creeks. You can catch anything with them, or nothing, in my experience. Good luck maybe I'll see ya out there sometime I fish from blair to neb.City. And depending on the gas i'll even put in at little sioux.

3. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    That would be your best bet get a throw net and catch you some shad and use them or skip jack

4. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Throw a cast net and get sume shad

5. Mrquickset

Mrquickset New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I'll do that asap...I live about 2 miles from the little sioux boat ramp. The way the current flows through there can make it pretty tricky to load the boat. I will go down to Remington sometimes if the current is too strong at Little Sioux.

I'll make a trip or two to Bartlett...south of Counsel Bluffs and usually it's worth it:wink:

Thanks for the suggestion.

6. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Welcome aboard the BOC Jimmy.I Fish that stretch of River Alot.I have a Cabin at Ryans Landing North of the boat ramp 5mi.. The ice is off the ponds in the hills and Bluegills work good for cut bait, also Gold Eye work you can usually catch a fue on crawlers,If You get a cast net the best place I have found to get Shad is behind the wing dikes in the calmer water.Hope this helps,I'll see You on the water. J.D.

7. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    welcome to boc you will love it

8. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    try trout guts they love it:smile2: blues love love guts:wink:

9. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    welcome to boc:cool2:

10. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    If there are any lakes with a spillway and reasonably high water there are generally shad in morning in turbulance just off of front walls of discharge cavity. Throw your net there and let it sink nearly to bottom.

11. catfishlarryiowa

catfishlarryiowa New Member

State:
    Iowa
    be careful at sioux a drop off at end of ramp this time of year. last time i was at remington the water was to low to put a boat in. was at barlett wed. an it was to low also water leval has to be about 15 ft to put in there. also welcome to the BOC. Larry be careful !

12. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    welcome to boc good tips on baits in boc lib:0a25::0a18:

13. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    nice blue good job that is :cool2: