French Broad River Catfish

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by flying_v_64, Nov 30, 2008.

1. flying_v_64

flying_v_64 New Member

State:
    NC
    I was wondering if there's anybody here who has caught any big catfish in the French Broad River? I live in the Asheville/Hendersonville area and i'm eager to give it a shot. What's the primary baitfish for FBR cats? Thanks:big_smile:

2. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Vic there are some flatheads in the French Broad but now isnt a good time to fish for Flatheads. I would give it a try in the spring when they start biting again. Try using some sunfish that you can catch right there in the river like green sunfish. Use some live and also try some small chunks of fresh cut sunfish. If a big flathead is around he wont resist a meal like that. If you get a chance you should try out the Muskie fishing right now they are definately a handfull. Good luck and tight lines!

Shane

3. flying_v_64

flying_v_64 New Member

State:
    NC
    Thanks Shane for the info on French Broad cats. Is there any hot spots that you know of for fishing the river? I live in the Hendersonville area and there are lots of good deep holes I noticed in the Etowah area.:big_smile:

4. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Im not really all that familiar with that area. I've only been on the French Broad a couple of times. Those deep holes should be a good starting point. Look for the steep drops in the channel to these deep holes. On another note though I wouldnt restrict yourself to just the deep holes because the flatheads will move into the shallows in the spring to feed around log jams and other cover. Basically I would advise you to just put in some time on the river this spring and keep a journal of your fishing trips and keep track of what works. If you look at a spot on the river and think I bet thats a good catfish hole normally it is so give it a try.

Shane