Freight Trains – This Works 90% Of The Time

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by cross_their_eyes, Jun 30, 2006.

1. cross_their_eyes

cross_their_eyes New Member

State:
    Show Me State
    Last year I missed quite a few BIG hits on my baitcaster using my clicker and circle hooks, I'd let the fish run a bit before engaging the reel and use a wide sweeping motion to hook the fish (worked about half of the time). I've noticed this year the blues are really hitting my cut shad HARD. I've turned off my clicker and tightend my drag down tight and locked in my pole - I've been missing very few fish. As a matter of fact I remember two blues that hit like freight trains I didn't hook, all of the rest I've caught. I've been using the chunk light circle 7/0 hook...what a good hook.

So if your using the clicker and missing fish try this...just thought I'd share my two cents worth...

2. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    I have found the same sort of thing. Using Gama 8/0 Octopus Circles and a tightline has really helped my success.

3. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have had success with J-hooks tight lining. I don't think I will use my line out alarm again. I used to buy a reel based on weather it had a line out alarm or not.

4. catfishinmagician

catfishinmagician New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    gamakatsu 8/0 Octopus circle hook, and a tight line. I like the Gama's over all the other cause they are a smaller guaged steel. Some circles, especially those Daichi's, are a very thick hook. The smaller diameter hook sets easier with not as much pressure needed to bury the hook point. And leave the reel engaged. Haveing to let the fish run, then worry about setting the hook just puts another step in the process. I've found, and not just with catfishin, that even if a fish hits the bait like a freight train, on a tight line, it will still hook him. (Found that out with some 6 and 7 foot sharks!!!)

5. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    i always use my clicker. when i have a run a pick rod up lock spool wait for him to tighte up and raise rod. then when i feel the pressure of him fighten i give a hard set to the hook to ensure its in there. it works great for me

6. cross_their_eyes

State:
    Show Me State
    Well Bryan,

I think there may be an art to catching them with the clicker. Something I haven't been able to paint just yet.

Gamakatsu 8/0 Octopus circle hooks just didn't have a wide enough opening for my liking, I know there are many catmen who like them.

7. btmfdr

btmfdr New Member

State:
    missouri
    ive found the same thing to be true, also its alot harder to tell if its a fish or not using them, so you find yourself getting excited about rogue gusts of current pulling a few yards of line off your reel. the only way you know for sure is if it just keeps taking line at a steady pace, and by then you gave him an extra 15-20yds to use against you. im not sure if ive ever missed a catfish with my reel enguaged, if the rod loads up and the hook doest set its usually a gar, at least for me. its real hard to hook them on circle hooks but im such a great fisherman ive done it twice in the last week!! lol but they were bigger so they have a larger area of flesh in their mouth to get ahold of. so bill whenever you get a good run and miss with your circles...ITS A GAR!!!!, even if it wasnt, its just to ease the mind lol

8. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    depending on what size bait you are using especially if it is live they can turn back around and hook themselves . and that will keep you from being able to set hook as well

9. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    With circle hooks I always let the rod load up in the holder hard. If I use the clicker I let it run then I engage the reel and let the rod load up. Usuaully I jsut have the reel engaged and let the rod load up hard. I have a very high rate of hookset doing that. Once the rod is doubled over I jsut pick it up and start reeling.

10. cross_their_eyes

State:
    Show Me State
    Come to think of it; I've been fishing heavy current. I wonder if that makes any difference on using the clicker vs. not using it?

11. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have clickers but don't use them alot I like to leave a little slack in the line to give me half a second to get to the pole before it doubles over. This lso works for me on windy days just watch the line straighten out and BAM set the hook so hard they get whiplash lol

12. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i agree on the clicker thing. seems evertime i use them i forget to put the reel in gear before setting the hook. what a mess. now on the this hook thing. i would throw them daiichi light chunk hooks in the trash bro. i have used them and they let me down big time. i was using a 7/0 red daiichi lite circle and had a blue to striaghten the hook out. something about that light or lite that ant right for big or bigger fish. only time that ever happen to me and it made me sick. i done a little checking on a spring scale to see how much presser it would take to bend the hooks i had 7/0 daiichi lite chunk 18-20lbs. gamo 5/0 octopus was around 20-25lbs. smaller hook but stronger. i wont be use anymore lite or light hooks. just my thoughts

13. catchaser1

catchaser1 New Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    Ive always used the clicker method. when the clicker goes off, he will run about 2-3 feet and stop. Thats when i pick the rod up out of the holder and when they come back and pull tight again i set the hook. they dont always come back though. It would be hard for me to watch all the rods without clickers. any thought on the subject?

14. Fishhead1

Fishhead1 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Eric
    I'm no expert, but I've played around with both hooks and clicker on and off. There are a lot of variables to take into account; hook, time of year, bait size, etc.

In general you don't want clickers when using circle hooks. The whole point is to let the rod and line hook the fish. You should never "jerk" a circle hook, instead giving a steady short hard tug to let the hook work in. This is why circle hooks were invented for long lining in the ocean, and also why they are great for trot lines and jugs.

Clickers are better suited to J / Kahle hooks where the hook in general is a bit bigger, takes longer to get positioned in the fish's mouth and requires a firm hook set to do it's job properly. Which is why they aren't as good for trot lines and jugs.

Add to those 2 general rules all the other variables:
    - is there cover for fish to move your line/hook into?
    - is the water cold, bite slow?
    - is the bite fast and hard?
    - are they running with the clicker but off before you set the hook?
    - large bait requiring more handling?
    - can you remember not to set the hook hard?
    - can you remember to not set the hook with the clicker still on?

Consider all that and then make a choice. I think both hooks and techniques are worthwhile and one can do better in at certain times than another. The trick is figuring it out.

15. catchaser1

catchaser1 New Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    lately they hit hard and fast, and they dont come back. I always use the kahle hooks. I get to excited for the circle hooks. I like to jerk to much.

16. Fishhead1

Fishhead1 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Eric
    That's a great example. In that case you may try circle hooks with the clicker off. The hard hit and run has a better chance of hookup during the run before they spit it out. You might want to lighten your drag a bit depending on your rod and line etc so they can strip some line if a big one blasts it.

Of course be sure you aren't getting gar bites. They tend to slam and run a foot or two before letting go or pulling off the bait.

17. catchaser1

catchaser1 New Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    tried the circle hooks, worked great

18. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Circles, will it ever stop?? LMAO I just have no luck with em, I am glad that you guys have a ton of luck. You may convince me to try em again, who knows.

19. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    im not knocking a circle hook at all with my earlier post but i do think the daiichi "lite" hooks are junk. they even feel light compared to other hooks. maybe they are made out of pot metal or aluminum. i think both hooks have there place and time for use. just my opinion thats all.

20. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I just bought 2 tidewater reels because they had the clickers, I've never missed so many fish in my life. I have no answer...:crazy: