Freezing skipjacks

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARKANSAS TALK' started by poisonpits, Mar 22, 2007.

1. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    how does everyone fix their skips for freezing.

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've been wrapping them well in saran wrap, but it sounds like vacuum sealing is the way to go. Gonna try to get one before stocking up this year. Given room, freezing them in water would probably work best, since that works so well for catfish fillets.

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Johnnie try the vacumn sealer. Air tight and you can wrap straight from the lake. I like the role bags so I can seal small or large amounts needed for a single trip. Food Saver is a Brand name.:lol: :big_smile:

4. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    What Micky said!

I also will cut the fresh skipjack into bait-sized chunks and place them into zip-lock bags, squeeze out the air and seal. Since skipjack never spend more than a month in my freezer, they don't have time to freezer-burn.

If I'm careful to get out all of the air, the blood, slime, and natural oils seem to protect the skipjack from freezer-burn. When thawed, the bait is just like fresh... the blues don't seem to know the difference.

5. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I take mine right out of the cooler and place them in 1 gallon zip lock bags (whole skippie) usually five to the bag. Then I zip the bag except for the corner. Then, I place them down in a bucket of water to force all the air out of the zip lock and then zip the corner. I just toss them in the freezer then when heading to the river, I take out as many bags as I think I will need, place them in a cooler on ice. Works great for me.

6. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I have a vacuum sealer but I am to lazy to use it:embarassed:, I just place a couple of big ones in a gallon Zip-lock bag and freeze it. I do not put more than two in the bag because I do not wont to keep re-freezing them,I try to fish the gone.

7. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    thanks guys .i guess ill haft. to get a bagger.i dont get to go enough to use up all these skipsand id hate for them to go bad.

8. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    I have always frozen them in a bucket of water making sure they are all the way covered in the water. This works for me.:smile2:

9. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    I STARTED CUTTING MINE INTO BAIT SIZE LAST YEAR. it is easier to get all the air out and i think the cats like them better when they are marinated in thier own guts. i never refreeze. if i have any left i dump them in the middle of my fishing area.

10. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    i used to do the ziplock bag thang, but went out and picked up a 'food saver' vacuum sealer. it's like night and day. you can pick up a vacuum sealer at wally world for around $45. main cost is buyin the rolls of bags tho, especially if you catch a lot of skips. WELL worth the investment tho.

I catch them and put them on ice....keep them very cold...then vacuum seal and freeze them whole as soon as i get home. It works MUCH better than freezing them in ziploc bags or cutting them before freezing, IMO.

cyas
    robert

11. cntryby

cntryby New Member

State:
    kentucky
    thanks for all the info