freezing shad

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by CountryHart, Mar 16, 2008.

1. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Whats the best way to freeze shad? In water, cut or whole? Last year i threw away/give away ALOT. I've heard froze isn't worth a hoot but really don't know.

2. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    john,i have heard that vacum sealing them is the best way to keep em fresh.i dont have one but what i usually do is cut em up to bait size chunks with all the guts for flavor and put em in a ziplock,squeeze the air out and freeze em.they still smell fresh after thawing,and they still catch fish

3. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I usually vacuum seal them whole, seems to work out pretty good.

4. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    I never freeze had cause i can usually get them year round.

5. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Vaccuum sealed is probably the best. Alot of people cut their tales off so they will fit in the bags better. Ziplocs bags work well but vaccuum sealed keeps them a little fresher looking.

6. Junior42

Junior42 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, KY
    vaccum seal whole. They will last a while.

7. CATFISHGARY1

CATFISHGARY1 New Member

State:
    Coats,North Carolina
    defintly vacumm whole they stay fresh the gut dont rot

8. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Thanks everyone, i'll quit fattening up the turtles with my left overs.

9. jjfisher666

jjfisher666 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    they seem to fall apart easy after freezing in water better than nothing

10. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    John I've done my shad this way for years and it works.I use the ketchen sink and dump my shad in one side and fill the other side with water.I put some shad in a bag and hold the bag under water,with the top out of course,to get all air out of the bag(keep as shad as dry as posable) and zip up.when you have all your shad in bags put a little clorine in the water to wash off the fish smell them clean up sink.Just lay the bags flat and freze.

11. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    John, I hate using frozen shad but when it's all you have then that's what you use. I learned this tip over the winter and have tried two bags so far that worked pretty well. I'm letting the last bag get about 2 months old then i'll try it.

When you get home lay some news paper out and spread your shad out. Pat them to dry a little. Now this is the part that seems crazy but it works. Sprinkle Borax over the shad then flip them over and sprinkle the other side. Now vaccum seal them.

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I haven't tried vacuum sealing shad, but otherwise, they turn red and mushy after freezing, and seem to be very unattractive to the cats. Personally, if all I had for bait was frozen shad, I don't know if I would even bother going. Fortunately, it's never a matter of frozen shad or nothing; backup baits I prefer to frozen shad include cured chicken livers, bacon, salt pork, flavored chitlings, etc. But, as you can see, different folks have different results, so your best bet is to try vacuum sealing a few, freezing them, then trying them out alongside other baits to see what works best for you.

13. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    welcome to boc the best :smile2:

14. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I have heard adding salt to the water before freezing helps preserve them better. Has anybody tried this? Supposed to help keep them from falling apart when using them.

Mark..

15. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    I hate to go against Jtrew but I have caught many many stringers full of channel cats using frozen shad for bait.For night fishing I would go down on a sand bar on a small river that is close to my home and set in a lawn chair spray down with Off,drink a 6 pack and catch a few cats.

16. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    heres how i do mine and i havent had a mushy one yet. i get home from fishing,open up the bait tank,net out all the shad throw them on the driveway let them flop the water off,put them in a ziplock bag and throw them in the deep freeze with some still floping.

17. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    I'm sure vacuum sealing is the best, but I just wrap them up and freeze in ziploc bags. I usually do real well with the frozen shad.

18. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i do better with my frozen shad since i switched my routine up a bit. i got a case of those blood absorbing pads at a salvage store for next to nothing. when you catch your shad don't put them in water at all. if you have to, put them in a ziploc on ice. lay the blood pads on the bottom of the bag with the shad on top. roll up some napkins or a paper towel or three a little below where the sealer will crimp the bag. this will suck the slime and juices into the napkin and allow you to get a good seal. let them sit in the fridge overnight, then freeze. also, the bigger the shad, the better. if you must freeze small (3-5 in.) shad, only go one layer deep in the bag, no overlapping. this way has really helped me out, and there's not much difference for me between fresh and frozen. another thing is, thaw your bait in the fridge overnight before you go fishing, not in the back of the pickup on the way to the fishin hole. hope this helps!

19. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    That was my point exactly when I said to try them and see if they work for you. Jim has had good luck with them, and I've had p-poor luck with them. What works one place may not work somewhere else.

20. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I'm sure vacuum sealing is the best. i usually try catching them fresh out of the same water im fishing in .