Freezing Crawfish

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by DemolitionMan, Aug 16, 2007.

1. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Has anyone froze crawfish and used them for bait????What does it do to the texture of the tail as far as staying on the hook????Of course, I'll use live crawfish as much as possible, but I also have access to a pond to put em in.....Which would be better, put them in a pond or freeze, or both....Dwight

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I'd try to keep them alive in the pond. I'd say they'll get mushy if you freeze and thaw them. May be ok if you vacuum seal them. I'm just guessing though,I've always used them fresh.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Yep, they get mushy and won't stay on a hook. Guess some of the cats would still eat them, but I don't think I'd even want to try. I tried that when I was a teenager and the experience lasted me for over 45 years.

4. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I dont know but the Shrimp hold up pretty well. Whatever I dont use when i go fishing i stick back in the freeze I put them on a piece of tissue for a bit to soak up some of the liquid. They are both similar arent they.....:wink:

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I've done it and had success with shrimp. It gets mushy but kinda stays on the hook. I hadn't thought of that. Thanks! :big_smile:

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Guess it depends upon whether your talking apples or oranges. The tail of a crawdad would still be good. The rest is yuk. LOL

7. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Thanks guys for the info...I thought it would be kinda like shrimp...Just curious....Dwight

8. holeinthewall

holeinthewall New Member

State:
    mo
    i never had any luck doing that

9. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    I have froze crawdads for years.That way I have bait in early spring.Never had any get to mushy to fish with.I freeze mine in 3 litre soda bottles.I trotline a lot so I use a bunch of bait.Put the crawdads in first and then add water.Works for me.

10. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    AwShucks,

Yeah, I would think the head and body would get a little mushy, but that part would make a better chum after being frozen/thawed....Thanks guys for the advice....Dwight