Freezing Carp For Bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by glenmorebuckman, Jul 16, 2007.

1. glenmorebuckman

glenmorebuckman New Member

State:
    Caneyville, Ken
    I've been wanting to try cut carp for Blue cats and was wondering what is the best way to keep it until I can go fishing. Can I freeze it? Would it be better to freeze it in water?

2. Finesse

Finesse New Member

State:
    Sacramento,Ca
    whenever i freeze fish im planning on eating i keep it in water when i slap it in the freezer to keep it from getting freezer burn and tasty funny and it works to me. i would think the same would go for bait but then again im sure the cats don't think it taste funny :wink: i would freeze it :wink:

Sean

3. glenmorebuckman

glenmorebuckman New Member

State:
    Caneyville, Ken
    That's what I was thinking to. I have noticed when freezing shad though, the freshness isn't there after thawing and I was wondering if the same would happen to carp.

4. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Carp gets pretty mushy after it's been frozen, but I've frozen them whole. Might not be so bad if you filleted them and froze them in water. Good Luck1

Branden

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have filleted carp [leaving the skin on them ] and cut into chunks and frozen for baitwith success,I also try to catch as much of the blood as possible and incorperate it into the bag of chunks.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    You can cut them up or leave them whole. But you need to Vacumn Pack/Seal them if you want them to stay fresh for a longer period of time. Info in the library on vacumn sealing with food processor.:smile2:

7. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    I've taken asian crap and wraped in saran wrap, as soon as possible, and frozen. seemed to work pretty good. It seals, all jucies and slime in.
    Jim

8. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    I fillet the carp leaving the skin on. Cut into chunks the size you want to bait with. Put into freezer bag with plenty of salt. (Kind of like mealing a fish to fry) I put about 25 pieces per bag or enough to bait up with. They come out like fresh bait. I don't have a frost free freezer so freezer burn is not quite as bad.