Freezing baits?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by catman849, Oct 17, 2006.

1. catman849

catman849 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    If you caught some bream/shad ect. and cut them could you freeze them and then use them as needed? Because there is a place that i catch shad that is far away from the spot i fish would it be possible to freeze a lot of them and use them when i went fishing? Would it be better to freeze them whole or cut them first?

2. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Bream will freeze ok. I wouldn't cut them, it may cause you to lose juices. Shad don't freeze well, others may have better results, but they get mushy on me.

3. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    From my experiance, and that of several of the old timers from here that are MIA, the best way to freeze shad is vacumm sealed whole. Get yerself a "foodsaver" and make 1 layer of whole shad in a bag. Suck the air out and seal it. Toss it in the freezer. I did it with live shad. *(yes I'm a big ol meany and suffacated the poor lil ol fishies). When you thaw them out, put the bags in a bucket of lake water. Let them sit for a while before working with them.

4. cattinfever999

cattinfever999 New Member

State:
    KY
    Thanks Tony. I might try that. You used live bait-- Will it work with dead?

5. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Tony is right on the money. This is the best thing to do for freezing anything for that matter. Air in the bag is a killer.

6. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Kelli, I don't know. I'm sure it would if it were freshly dead.

7. bhunt

bhunt New Member

State:
    *Required*
    I have a food saver and it works great for freeezing shad.

8. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    How long do the shad keep for you guys when it's vacuum sealed. I've done some that I wasn't happy with after a few months, but it's still better than nothing. Lately I've been freezing small herring with pretty good results by placing paper towels in the bag with them. This seems to soak up any excess moisture, and they seem to be more firm than otherwise. I'm getting ready now to freeze some saltwater baitfish (pinfish, croaker, etc) that I caught a couple days ago, but they are firm fleshed and usually freeze well.

9. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    wish i had a vacuum sealer, and i dont know if shad from a different lake will work as well as shad from the same lake, but im not sure...