Freezing Bait

Discussion in 'Fishing Bait Review' started by redneckdrum, Jul 2, 2006.

1. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas
    I'm gonna be using more cut bait this year.I realize that fresh is always the best but there may be times where I dont have acess to it.Would it be wise to catch ,for example'bluegill',cut it up and freeze it? Whats everyone's opinion on this one?

2. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Hey John, I am for sure not really up on this, but have been freezing them and they seem to be working. I got one of the plastic coffee cans, cut the bait up and then poured in some Cod Liver Oil, and stuck it in the freezer. Take it out and let it thaw then away we go fishing.

3. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I think all bait keeps better if frozen in water.I think it works better if it is not frozen in "chlorinated city water."peewee-williams

4. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Yes, this is a trick that Ramrod told me. It makes great sense.

5. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    i freeze bait on occasions. espically gill and skip jack and shad. its not as good as a fresh peice would do. but it is effective

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I personally would not cut the bait up, I would leave it whole so more of the blood and oil will stay in the bait.

7. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Personally, I have used bream that was frozen, Not anymore, If I don't have time to get fresh bait,and keep it alive in the bait tank,I don't go fishing. If I use cut-bait ,it's alive when I cut it...... My bait method, wash-hands(in water only) cut bait and put on hook,wash hands again, cast and set-up rod, catch fish, repeat as long as you want........steve

8. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas
    Not this makes sense!THANKS

9. ASASIN

ASASIN New Member

State:
    Lawson Missouri
    John, here's a tip I used to use when I fished cut bait alot. I take 1 cup of Pickling Salt and add it to a one gallon ziplock with bait and water. This will keep your bait "fresh" and won't allow it to totally freeze. Works EXTREMELY well with shad and oily fish that you want to keep in your freezer for future fishing trips. Hope this helps you out. I know this works and works well!!!!!!!!! God bless.

10. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    I have frozen quite a bit of bait...but everyone else already has it covered.

In the winter when baitfish are easier to come by, i take them and put them immediately on ice..kinda funny in the middle of winter..lol.....anyways..i put them in REAL good ziplock bags and add water until the baitfish are completely covered in water. Place them in the freezer and wait several months.

I definitely would NOT cut them up before freezing as the water and freezing process would greatly reduce the scent of the fish.

The exception would be a cut-bait paste that i have frozen this last year and have yet to try. Got the idea from the library and plan to try it sometime in august. I took several skips...filleted them, cut several strips of meat, then put the remains in a blender and poured the "goo" over the fillets and froze the mess...lol

Frozen baitfish definitely work...just not as good as fresh...

cyas
    rc