freezin skips

Discussion in 'Skipjack Herring' started by getthenet, Dec 23, 2008.

1. getthenet

getthenet New Member

State:
    ohio
    when freezing your skipjack do you put them in water they came from

2. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    i dry them wrap in saran wrap and freeze in a big zip lock bag

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I don't have the room to freeze my skippies in water, and if I did, I wouldn't be able to use the water they were living in, because it's 250 miles away. I do good to vacuum seal some of them. When I can't vacuum seal them, I wrap them in plastic wrap. I try to freeze them in bunches about the right size for a rod & reel fishing trip. Sometimes that means only one really big skipjack; sometimes 5 or 6 smaller ones. A jugfishing trip means 2 or 3 packages of them. And I try to keep them frozen on ice as long as possible till I actually need them, because after 3 or 4 thawings and refreezings they aren't much good for bait any more.

4. getthenet

getthenet New Member

State:
    ohio
    so you guys freeze them whole you dont cut them up. right?

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Yes, freeze or vacuum pack the whole skipjack. Make the packs up with the number/size needed for one fishing trip. Like Jerry stated. I vacuum seal all of mine and they stay fresh and last for a long time.

6. Sonny Kemp

Sonny Kemp New Member

State:
    Tn
    Jim Im not an expert but all the guys tell me to keep them as dry as possible before freezing and while transporting.Dont put them in an icechest and let the water sit on them.That brings on more work of course:sad2: What I do is put ice in first then put skips in a garbage bag or such.Get bag or chest almost full and tie bag and add ice around bag.That way you can transport them and they will stay fresh and dry til you get home in their own juices.Then do like others said and wrap individually or in small batches to take out and use after freezing.I see a lot caught and I wonder if they will be worth using after not taken care of.

7. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I Agree, Thats what I do.