Freezer for storing Skipjack and other baitfish?

Discussion in 'Skipjack Herring' started by SmokinBarrel, Nov 9, 2009.

1. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

State:
    St. Louis, MO
    I was thinking about purchasing a freezer for storing frozen Skipjack and was wondering what type freezer you use and recommend?

I was considering frost free, so I don't have to mess with defrosting the freezer all the time. I have a basement drain, so I guess it wouldn't be that difficult to defrost, but then that means you have to take everything out of the freezer, right?

I was looking at the upright frost free freezers for sale. And approximately how much room does 200 - 300 vacuum sealed Skipjack take up within a normal to large upright freezer - 2 - 3 shelves?

Or, how much room does 200 - 300 frozen skipjack take up inside a medium sized chest freezer, would be half full?

I am just trying to get an idea of how big a freezer I will need, as it will be dual purpose. I would prefer a 9 - 12 cubic foot, but am thinking I may need 12 - 16 cubic foot.

2. bigmuddy cruiser

bigmuddy cruiser New Member

State:
    il.
    man i just wish i had some skip jacks . i dont think i ever even saw one. must be good bait just hearin everyone talk about them.
    :eek:oooh:

3. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    MY WIFE WON'T ALLOW BAIT IN WITH FOOD. She says it all taste like shad. I keep an extra chest freezer in the garage. I have used 2 upright freezers and found them both open with all my bait ruined. I think the varments open it and help themseelves. They could be a little more considerant of a fellers bait.

4. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

State:
    St. Louis, MO
    I was thinking about putting the freezer in the garage, but it detached, so I am not sure if it will use more energy to keep it cool versus being in the basement. I am thinking energy star so I can keep the utilities down.

So, I take it that you cannot keep the Skipjack or Shad together with frozen foods, or the taste rubs off?

5. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    man i would just find one on sale and thats what i would buy for bait... personally i just dedicate part of my upright freezer to bait...

6. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Even most older fridge's don't use to much electricity. I've got one in my shop building.... freezer on top is for bait..... fridge on bottom is for beer..... I guess it's my "man fridge" lol

7. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    if bait is wrap right you will never smell it

8. clydecaldwell

clydecaldwell New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    200-300 will take up about 3 full shelves in an upright, i have around 300 skips and half a beef in mine

9. Camo Fish

Camo Fish New Member

State:
    United States
    I have 2 - 22 cubic ft freezer's, both upright I try and keep stocked up with vaccuum sealed bait. I have put 50 large size skipjack's packaged 5 to a bag per shelf on 5 shelf's and still have room in the basket pull out in the very bottom for other stuff. I sold my chest type because I got tired of digging out from the bottom. Definitely, a upright is the way to go, your back will appreciate it. Try watching the yardsale ad's, I found one that was commercial, less than 3 yrs old for $50. Almost felt guilty due to the other one just like it sitting right next to it in my garage I paid $750 for new 2 wks earlier. Almost.

10. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

State:
    St. Louis, MO
    Camo,

I was thinking the same thing, going with an upright, preferably frost free. I figured I'd try and get one that is within 1 - 5 years old, that way I know it's energy star rated.

The chest style would be best for my purposes, but I agree, I do not want to dig around or to the bottom of the chest freezer for stuff! I also plan to vacuum seal the bait, so that will help contain any "fishy tastes" that may affect other foods.

Here is a question for someone? Would a freezer use more, or about the same electricity if it was placed inside (basement) or outside in a garage (not air conditioned)?