freezen skipjack herring

Discussion in 'Skipjack Herring' started by shawn 314, Jun 7, 2009.

1. shawn 314

shawn 314 New Member

State:
    st. louis
    Hey guys im from st.louis n i was plan on going on a skipjack run here in the next week r 2 n i want to know would dry ice hold up better than regular ice :confused2:.

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Shawn I have not used dry ice to get them home, only used ice. Worked ok. When you get them home I would suggest that you vacuum seal them if you have the means. They will last for months, and be fresh when you open them. Good luck.

3. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    Hi Shawn welcome to the BOC:big_smile:
    Ive never used dry ice but it seems like that would be a better way.When using regular Ice you need to keep the skips on top and out of the melting water this will keep em from getting all waterlogged and in better shape for the freezer.:wink:Billy

4. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    If you go to an icehouse to get your ice it will last longer than the bags you get a the stores..And its usually cheaper too..If you know where to get dry ice they should have regular ice too..

5. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    I have used dry ice in the past and a little bit goes a long way and will last ya for a long time. Make sure you put a towel over the top of the skippies and then put the dry ice on the towel. It will burn any that it comes into contact with. Make sure you do not handle it with your bare hands.

6. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Good luck finding dry ice. I looked for it before I made the last run. Impossible for me to find.:confused2:

7. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    Shawn and I are planning a trip soon... Skip theres a company here in U-City that sells Dry Ice.. Its costly but if it'll work I'll give it a shot... I Think its like two blocks for $25.00..

I know it last a pretty long time but we'll be leaving out around 4am and returning around 8pm.. If it'll hold up im willing to grab a couple blocks

8. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    walmart caries it here they have a seprate freezer by coustomer service

9. macdaddy

macdaddy New Member

State:
    GEORGIA
    Ingles has it around here!!~!

10. macdaddy

macdaddy New Member

State:
    GEORGIA
    I live between Macon and ATL. Where would be the best place for me to make a skip jack run to, and how hard are they to catch. I would like to have about 5 to 10 gals. froze up to try for bait around here???

11. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    I bought a 1lb block of dry ice to keep some frozen deer meat frozen for a 12 hour drive. After I took the meat out of the cooler I left the ice in it. It was still frozen two days later......

12. shawn 314

shawn 314 New Member

State:
    st. louis
    So it sound like that the dry ice would be better than the regular ice. Ok guys imma need u guys help on this 1 cuz i wanna catch some of these monster skipjacks i be hearing people talking about. What kind of jig r jiggs will i need. The only 1's i know of r the Sabiki Rigs will they work for the job.

13. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    Sabikis will catch em.You can also use two crappie jigs tied to your line:wink:Good luck on findin some their gettin hard to get for me here lately.:sad2:

14. shawn 314

shawn 314 New Member

State:
    st. louis
    Hey beespringer is there a certain color we will need 2 us. i heard that they r gettn hard 2 come by since the water is crazy :angry:

15. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    personally I never can tell any one coler is better than another but Im sure some would disagree :big_smile:

16. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    skip jack, does it matter if there in a ziplock bag, i cant see them going bad but ill buy mine in altone for 7 bucks

17. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i use 8-10 skips a trip.. aint no way i would pay $70 for bait for 1 trip out,,,,,:crazy:

18. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i was using white and pink tube jigs alternated today seemed like most of them were biteing the white but the the ones that hit the pink i think were the bigger ones. i hooked one today on the pink that took off pulling drag every time i took my thumb off the spool tried to horse him and he bent the hook a little and got off:angry: it had to been huge. i think im gonna have upgrade to bigger tackle when i go back.

19. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    stopped by barkely dam today headin home from work and the skip bite was slooow.

20. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    yea i didnt say i cought alot i think i made it here with 8 and probally lost twice that in 3hrs of trying:sad2::angry: