freezeing bluegills or other panfish for human consumption

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by FS Driver, Oct 9, 2005.

1. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    ive heard of putting them in milk crtons ive heard of putting them in a ziplock with just enough water to cover them and without water and full of water
    salt was always in the water .

what is the best way please?

tonite i cleaned and stored our catch in a large ziplock bag with just enough salted water to cover meat and pressed out air and put in freezer.

thanx in advance for responses .
    p.s. i would like to use milk cartons but wouldn't know where i could get that many as we buy our milk in glass or plastic containers

2. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    It sounds like what you did will be fine.Kinda hard to squeeze the air outta a glass milk jug :):)

3. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    DRC I always put my fish in a plastic container that has a lid on it. I will fill them just enough to cover the fish with water and then freeze them. Once frozen then I remove them and place the block of ice and fish in a plastic bag, this way my fish container is always ready for the next batch. But I never put any salt in them never heard of doing it that way.

4. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I use zip lock baggies also. Fill with enough water to cover fish and get all the air out. I don't add any salt.

5. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    wow hope the salt doesnt hurt the meat !!!!!!!
    done this before and it was ok i guess but
    like i said i heard differant ways .
    thnx for responses guys .

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    The only thing I can see the salt doin is preventing the water from freezin solid. Keepin it kinda like a real cold slush. I know of folks that freeze their bait this way. This way ya can just use what ya need to rather than thaw out the entire package. I know for a fact that there have been times when I wish I would have done it that way. I know that some of us have experienced re-freezin bait only to find out it ain't worth a dam the next time we go to use it. It has happened to me with my favorite bait,mackeral. I'll take 6 or 8 nice whole ones with me and only use 4 of them. I'll take them home and re-freeze them only to find out on the next trip that they have went and gone mushy on me.

7. Skammer

Skammer New Member

State:
    Pa.
    Get a Food Saver vacum sealer or any one of the vacum sealers & you will be able to keep your catch fresh for as long as you want. I just ate some bluegill filets that I put in the freezer 1/1/04 & they were just as good as the day I put them in. One trick with the vacum bags is to first wrap your filets in some plastic wrap & partially freeze them before you put them into the vacum bags. The reason for that being, if you try to seal the bags when the filets are moist, the moisture will be drawn by the vacum up into the area where the seal on the bag is made & it will not seal properly. If the moisture is solidified it will not get into the seal area. Leave the plastic wrap on the filets when you put them in the bags to seal.
    The small investment into the Food Saver is well worth it because after all the work fileting the fish, your fish will stay fresh for years. You can freeze any type of food in these bags as long as you partially freeze it & solidify the moisture. I don't know how I ever got along without it!!

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Glass milk jugs? Boy, I haven't seen milk in glass jugs in over 50 years. Back when we got milk in half gallon cartons, they made excellent containers, but now that we don't get our milk in them anymore, I bought some plastic containers at the local $1 store. The whole idea of freezing in water is to prevent air from reaching the fish because the air is what causes freezer burn. I put fillets into the plastic container and add water about an inch shy of the fill point. After the water & fillets are well frozen, I add another inch of water on top. Why? Because I've found that the fillets sometimes work their way so that they are just barely under the surface of the water; adding an extra inch on top after they are frozen makes sure that I have at least an inch of ice covering the fillets.
    While I've never tried using a vacuum sealer, by removing all the air, it should work as well as freezing in water, and take up less space.

9. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    our farmfresh store has glass 1/2 gallon bottles you can get the little hand basket that holds 1 or two of them and you bring them back for a refund or if you get another bottle then you dont have to pay the next deposit.
    and now that i think of it thats about the only place i see them anymore here.

yeah i like the takeing up less space idea!!!!!!!!!!!

10. jrw

jrw New Member

We always just put them in a sour cream container and cover them with water and freeze em. Or, if u caught a HUGE mess of them u can fill an ice cream container. :D

11. capt.kirk

capt.kirk Guest

the vacaum sealer works really well,after filleting them the wife rinse them
    and soaks them overnight, then rinsing and sealing them for the freezer
    never of salting them and putting them in the freezer.the biggest problem
    with the fillets is the wife,when it comes to blue gill and crappie if i dont
    have a ton of them she will get out the big griswald skillet,she can eat
    more fish than a big blue herron.when she is frying she may have 6 in the
    skillet and 4 will make the warming oven.i love it.
    KIRK :D

12. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    I bought a vaccum sealer a few years ago to keep frozen skipjack and it works great. I also use it to keep edible frozen fish from freezerburning. The bags cost about 50¢ each and I only use it if I don't plan on eating the fish soon after catching them.

13. Mathersm

Mathersm New Member

State:
    Darbydale, Ohio
    I've always used the gallon freezer bags and filled just over the top with plain water never with salt. I seperate my fillets into edible portions. I have never had fish around long enough to get a foodsaver as I always eat it no more than 2 months after I catch it.

14. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    DRC, Invest in a vacuum sealer. I got lucky, the kids gave me one for Christmas. I soak my filet's in salt water overnight then freeze on a cookie sheet covered with wax paper first. The fellas are right, you have to keep the water out. Here is a pic. they keep very well.

Attached Files:

15. Cataholic

Cataholic Guest

I use Ziplock freezer bags for the simplicity. When freezing Bream I'll usually get 20 fish (40 Fillets) in each quart size bag fill with tap water, remove all air and freeze. The Blues I put up will hardly fit in a quart bag so I use Gallon bags for their fillets. If you like to use salt just don't go overboard. I've never used milk for freezing fish, but have used it with Mrs. Butterworths complete pancake mix for a batter-dipped recipe at times...

16. katfish hunter

katfish hunter New Member

State:
    Jacksonville,FL.
    I have always froze mine in a ziplock bag filled with water.They taste very fresh if you freeze them that way.

17. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Joe, if you want a good batter, try Bisquick and beer (or club soda). Make the batter thick or thin depending on whether you want heavy batter or light. Roll the fillet in flour before dredging in the batter. For a little different whang, add some Tony Chacacre's Seasoning to the batter.

18. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Joe, if you want a good batter, try Bisquick and beer (or club soda). Make the batter thick or thin depending on whether you want heavy batter or light. Roll the fillet in flour before dredging in the batter. For a little different whang, add some Tony Chacacre's Seasoning to the batter.

19. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    You cant beat a vacum sealer, (foodsaver)! I dont think any other means of freezing anything comes even close! Thats my opinion anyway!

20. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    I'm also all for the vacuum sealer. I've used my Dad's since he hasn't used it in the three years he's had it and love it. I just need to get a better one. I have heard about adding salt, but I don't do it.