freespooling blue catfish

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by slikk03, Jul 21, 2009.

  1. slikk03

    slikk03 New Member

    Messages:
    2,507
    State:
    illinois
    what happens if you freespoll clikers with bllues with j hooks, will they run till they inhale it,or spit it out
     
  2. cathog

    cathog New Member

    Messages:
    855
    State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    I would guess you would get a lot of swallowed hooks Jake. Blues normally just take the bait and swallow it, not a lot of playing around with it. Most of the time they hit like a freight train and keep going. I like to use circles with the reel engaged and let the fish load the rod up and then just crank down on the reel, don't set the hook. When I started using this method I got a lot fewer gut hooked fish.
     

  3. slikk03

    slikk03 New Member

    Messages:
    2,507
    State:
    illinois
    well i dont want them to die, lol, just wonderd, but i use this methed on my snagging rod, since i lack a rod for the situwation
     
  4. Welder

    Welder New Member

    Messages:
    4,834
    State:
    Missouri
    90% of the time big blues hit like a freight train the other 10% they bump a bait prolly missed it then come back and womp the hell out of it. Even with j hokks or octo j hooks a big blue over 15lbs 90% the time hooks its self. O I still set just to get the hook in good, had to many pop off due to hook not being set into em solid. Most the time the rod just goes down fish on. They ant shy lol.
     
  5. slikk03

    slikk03 New Member

    Messages:
    2,507
    State:
    illinois
    this guy can get some fish, give him some mojo power good guy:wink:
     
  6. mariofish

    mariofish New Member

    Messages:
    914
    State:
    wv
    nice catfish:crazy: