freelineing for flatheads & hooking

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by LEROYDOZOIS, Dec 26, 2007.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    a lot of people at my local dock fish for flatheads ( with gills of course) but they use trebles and snag them ( the red snagging hooks that are 1.25 a piece) they shine and a gill run up to it and gets snaged ( theirs a light on a dock )

my question is do any of you freeline for flats...and is it different fishing from a pier than from boat ( like using a slip sinker ) cause most guys from the AZ listing use the carolina rig to ancor them down at the bottem.

last thing... how do flatheads eat the gill??? head first or any way possible

2. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Leroy,
    If you just let your bait run free, with no or little weight, it will more than likely end up in a snag. Use enough weight to keep your bait where you want it, and where the flats can find it.

* Keep it simple and don't use trebles for flats that is unless you are using heavy line. A big treble hook souvenir in a fishes mouth will probably kill it.

* Use an Octopus style, or khale hook it you are letting the flatt run with the bait before it loads up on the rod. Or use a circle hook it you are going to tight line it..

* How does a flatt eat?
    * If you are using gills or carp large enough to give the Flathead some trouble, it will go in head first. Smaller baits like gills, will just get inhaled..

* Regardless of how the Flathead eats your bait, Hook your live bait behind the dorsal fin. Deep enough so the bait does not go flying off when you cast, but not so deep. You want as much of that "single" hook point exposed to ensure a solid hook up...

~ Hope this helps you.
    Take care~

~A

3. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Andy said it all, the reason you want a carolina rig is you can pull the line back till the swivel hits the sinker after a cast, then you know exactly how far your bait is from any structure you casted to. Cause you set the leader length. If you want a livelier bait give him a longer leader, (he thinks he's going somwhere), If the structure is nasty, use a shorter leader to keep your bait in a smaller area so he can't get into it and hide and snag you up.

4. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    use the carolina rig with a 7/0 octpos and a 1oz egg

everyone in the az forms says thats the was to go and they fish the same waters i do so theirs no reason to doubt em:wink:

thanks for the info guys :smile2::big_smile::wink:

5. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    LeRoy, you don't have to limit yourself to a 1oz egg. When fishing rivers they will roll till the hook snags on something, then you are just wasting your time cause the fish can't eat your bait. They are fine for lake or pond fishing. If you target rivers use bank or no-roll sinkers. They will hold much better cross-current than eggs. You know when casting out from the bank. If you are in a boat eggs are fine if you are casting behind the boat downstream. Around here I use 5 or 6 oz bank sinkers for all my flathead fishing. No matter what the river level is unless I need 12oz lol. As long as I use the carolina rig, the flats can pull line from the clicker and never know how much weight I'm using. It just frees me up to consider all the rest of what I have to do, not worrying about sinker size. I have no problem catching 1lb channels with 6oz sinkers, its all about the slip-rig and the feel from your rod. I hope you can get what I'm trying to say. I don't even think I could cast a 1oz sinker anymore without a backlash lol. Good luck.

6. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    do you use the bank sinkers for the carolina rigging

i got a few of the 2 oz banks and a couple of the eggs but i was concerned about the banksinker twisting and keeping the line from slipping ( freely ) so thats why i was gona use the eggs

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    sleekcraft, no rolls, eggs, even pyramid sinkers are fine.. the use of the swivels will prevent line twist... i will let skip chime in, but i know him fairly well when it comes to fishing:wink: rollo

8. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    or straight rigging with these and a bead then hook work fine also,, most of my sinkers are molded with the brass eyes, makes for a nice setup with the bead added..rollo

9. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    LeRoy, besides the swivel and bead I like to use sinker sliders. They are big on the coasts for live-bait fishing the surf. The slide is on the main line, and under it is a snap that you add whatever amount of lead (bank sinker) you need. I can get 3 6oz sinkers on mine if I re-bend the metal loop a bit. There are many types and styles of slides. It also makes changing weights a "snap" lol. Plus I can take my lead off the rods before I transport them in the truck bed. Saves wear and tear from sinkers banging against the rods.

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use a tight line and Circle hooks for flatheads, works great for me!