Freedom on the Tanner Bank 9/5

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by plumbertom1, Sep 6, 2008.

1. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Got on-board the Freedom out of 22nd St. Landing Thursday night with my son in law and 25 other hopefuls.
    After a long ride ovenight I got out of my bunk about 6AM and had coffee and breakfast.
    Around 7AM the boat dropped anchor on the high spot on the Tanner bank.
    The weather was sweat shirt and quickly warmed up to shirt sleeve even with the marine layer hanging overhead, but even that had a few gaps in it and it went away before 10AM.
    Almost from the first line in the water The fish were willing biters. I hooked up with a small bony right away and shortly after hooked up a much larger Bonita.
    A little later I hooked up something that straightened my #2 hook and came unbuttoned.
    A little later I hooked up again with a really good fish that drug me into the rocks and cut me off.
    After that even though the bite continued steady for the next 4 hours I couldn't buy a bite. don't know what happened but they were just not interested in my 30lb blue P-line.
    Now my son in law was getting bit on the green 30lb P-line for a while and did get his first tuna ever and a second on to boot along with a good sized Bonita, before they quit biting him also.
    Seems Like the fish were only interested in clear line after the sun came out.
    Any way there were many more Blue fin caught by others and some big yellow tail around 35Lbs. and the bite was steady until we had to pull anchor and head back around noon.
    The blues were mostly in the 20lb range.

Attached Files:

2. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    :crazy:
    :worship: "Looking Good There Tom"!!! It looks to me like you guys all had a good time out there. :0a23:
    :wink:

3. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Thanks for the post Tom... what was the cost of the run out there? I have never fished the banks... thought that it might be deeper... sorry to see that you got hung up and straightened up a hook.....at least your out there and enjoying the trip with the son....

bayrunner ray

4. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Scott, the deck hands will clean your fish for a fee on the trip back.

Ray it was $175.00 plus tip ($20.00) and of course galley and fish cleaning. It was worth the trip for Ron to get his first tuna.
    The Tanner isn't that deep and the Cortez actually sticks out of the water at Bishop Rock.
    When conditions are right they run trips out to the banks for some of the best surfing in California.

5. woodchucker

woodchucker New Member

State:
    La Quinta,Ca
  6. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Wow, sound like you guys did real good Tom......Way to go on them tuna. Whats the best way to cook tuna in your opinion Tom?

7. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    As long as it's very fresh, like still on the boat or as soon as you get home, don't cook it at all.
    Cut it into small (3/4") chunks and dip it in a little soy sauce mixed with wasabi and eat it that way. Blue fin tuna doesnt get any better.
    If you need to cook it, charcoal BBQ or smoker. A little wood smoke really goes great with the taste of tuna, just don't overcook it!
    Sauteed in olive oil with garlic is good as long as it's left slightly pink. Overcooking is a waste of good fish.

8. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Hey Tom wTG! I bet it was a yellowtail who cut you off!
    I was just thinking any of you guys might be intrested in charting a six pack for tuna and dorado?

Jaime

9. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Jaime, you check it out and figure out how much per person.
    If you get more interest than 6 you can look into the Phantom out of Pierpoint Landing, I think it takes 8 or 9 for overnight trips.

10. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    You made me hungry. Had to go eat some fish taco's for lunch after reading your post Tom:smile2:

11. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Oh, man. I just grilled up a tuna fillet on our propane grill.
    I got the grill good and hot, cut the fillet into 3/4" steaks, rubbed them with olive oil, sprinkled them good with garlic salt and then grilled them for about 3 minutes on a side. If there's a better fish on the grill I hope I never find it. I can't afford to take up fishing for a new species At this late date.

12. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    That sounds delicious! I am totally hungry now. I need to get me some of that tuna. I hear they are a fighting fish as well.

13. Wvawitrado

Wvawitrado New Member

State:
    California, Fresno
    One of the best fighting fish bro

14. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Any tuna in north cal coastal waters?

15. Wvawitrado

Wvawitrado New Member

State:
    California, Fresno
    No i dont beleive so I think there only southern and hang out towards mexico IMO between 60-120 miles out sometimes closer but you can hit them the best on an overnight trip because it really lets you get to the school I fished for 3 hours non stop reeling action while being swarmed by tuna INCREDIBLE!!!!

16. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    How much is an over nighter run? I maybe interested in one of those trips.

17. Wvawitrado

Wvawitrado New Member

State:
    California, Fresno
    I think its between 150 and 200 and you go with about 30 to 40 guys sometimes its great there are more exclusive ones at point loma but its 495 for a 2 day only 10 guys so you really get too fish and not be crowded go 1day and half I did a bunch now and there fun as sh*t

18. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Thanks Bro! That sounds great! I need to look into something like that :wink:

19. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Hey guys, no need to travel that far! The fish are in American waters. I wanted to get your guys feed back on charting a boat for tuna. As Tom mention we can find out about a boat called the Phantom(I have fished that boat for WSB) It can accomidate 8-9 people.

Jaime

20. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    What are you doing still at work Jaime????? Sounds like a winning idea bro!