free topo map site

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by ho_shi, May 8, 2008.

1. ho_shi

ho_shi New Member

State:
    Texas
    lookin for a free topo map site to get me closer to some depths for running a trot line... does not need to be totally up to date. just something to point me a little closer to where i am lookin to set a line out

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    You're not likely to find any free topo maps of lakes or rivers, but you can often get a real good idea of what the shorline is like: bluffs, possible creek, shallow flats area, etc.

http://terraserver-usa.com/default.aspx

3. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I agree with Jerry. You probably won't find a free site that will give you depths of lakes and rivers. All the free ones just show shorelilne. To get what you want you will have to pay. TopoZone is one place you can get some but you will have to pay a membership fee.

4. ho_shi

ho_shi New Member

State:
    Texas
    thanks for the help guess have to go buy a good ole map then lol

5. brandonnash

brandonnash New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    download google earth for free. Not a topo map, but still you can look at the shoreline and any big structure sticking out of water.

6. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    They ain't free, but you can get good maps from MyTopo.com, they come in different scales and have some other products. Or you can get them online and just study the map without buying it.

7. hawk

hawk New Member

State:
    kenton ohio
    most the state dnr web sites have online maps of the lakes and rivers with depths on them. I know ohio does. you might wanna check there before you buy 1

8. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I would have to agree that google earth is about you best bet