Free spooling?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Ol Man, Jul 6, 2006.

1. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have seen this term used in connection with catfishing and don't understand what it means. Can someone/anyone clarify it for me..?:confused2:
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    [A country where] the young are always ready to give those who are older than themselves the full
    benefits of their inexperience. ~Oscar Wilde

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

this I can help you with. Its when you leave you bale open are your line disengaged.

3. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Its leaving the bail open on spinning reels or not engaging the drag on baitcasters and spincasters. I put a rubber band on the rod above the reelseat and place a loop of line under it. this puts asmall amount of tension on the line so line doesn't fall off of the spool. a fish can easily take line when it bites and no backlashes.

4. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I turn my drag way down to use it as a clicker on my spinning reel and basically free spooling in the process.

5. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    I cast out, make sure the line is tight, disengage the bail on my baitcasters, and then engage the clicker. I love the screaming-esque noise of the clicker going off. Great rush to wake you up LOL

6. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    gotta love the sound of that clicker just a squealing away. awww the joys of catfishing.

7. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    yep i just started doing it and like it so far

8. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I don't like to use the clicker on my reels, I leave them locked in. But, if a flathead cat picks up a live bait I will "spool up" my rod tip...

I unlock the free spool (clicker is NOT on, and I loosen the spool tension a bit tool), and I gently raise the rod tip up a little past 45 degrees... then I lock-in, and let the fish draw the rod tip down... when it's level that's when I SET the hook...

for a real gentle pick-up, I will let a fish take some line out, but I'll still try to lock-in and follow him down like I explained above.

I've heard this technique called "spooling" the cats also, but it's not true free spooling. Guys who bank fish and aren't close to their reels will use a clicker and free spool to avoid losing their pole.

Shawn

9. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    I recently started using the clicker and like it. I use a cirle hook most of the time and I just have to close the bail and it sets itself. It works well with kahle also.