Free Spool Reel

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by skeetermagnet, Feb 2, 2007.

1. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    I've been looking at getting a couple of freespool reels to use specifically for carp and catfish. Does anybody use one of these? Is it worth the money? Do you use them with bite alarms? If you don't use a freespool reel, what kind do you use and how do you set it?

2. flathead20000

flathead20000 New Member

State:
    Indiana, Delphi
    Are you talking about a baitcaster. If so that is all that I use for the most part. I love them! You can do just about anything with them. If I holding the rod I will leave it in freespool, and when I get a hit depending on how good it is I will either let them take it, or let them have it with the hookset. If you don't want to hold the rod then I would recommend one with the bait clicker alarm. This way you will hear them when they run. Another way, and one that I really took to last year, and many on this site will agree is to set your drag fairly tight and use circle hooks, and just let them fish hook itself. At any rate these reels are very versitle and I would recommend them to anyone. Hope this helps!!

3. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Jamie, I use Okuma Epixor baitrunners, 3 EB-50s and a EB-30. They're great and dependable. You can also look at the Shimano Baitrunners.
    They must be used with an alarm, since the "bait clickers" are non existant. This is the set I use, http://americancarpsociety.com/store/product.php?productid=17001&cat=253&page=1 . Nice and loud, plus have the added ability of the remote pager, makes it nice that I can roam around a bit and still be able to tell when I get a bite.
    Also, I'll pm you later this month and we can try for some buffs at Overholser, and you can see how I have my set up.
    Will

4. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    Thanks for the info. I've got an old bait clicker that the seat busted off. The reel still works but don't have a way to attach it to the rod anymore. I've got several baitcasters but they are usually my bass rods.

I've seen the Okuma's but didn't know if they were any good or not. Sounds like they are. I probably shouldn't let one get by at again at a decent price. I've been watching some good alarms on ebay. Might be time for me to jump in and bid on them.

Thanks...

5. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    I sure wish the reel makers would make up their minds what they call them, too. Some of them call them freespool, some call them freeline, some call them baitrunners. I'm sure there are more terms that I don't even know to look for!

6. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    skeetermagnet, The names Freespool reel would not have been needed if the makers of Shimano had not patented and marketed the name Baitrunner! This being so, the release of these reels has changed the fishermans ability to present a bait of any type to a fish and not need to worry about the rod and reel being pulled into the water. This is something that has made the Carp fishing industry boom with many other firms copying the idea. If I am not lure fishing, I would rather have a Freespool, Freeliner, Baitfeeder or Baitrunner reel for my setups!

HOPPY4

7. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Skeetermagnet.....To me the word in fishing that is free spool is like when you are casting the pole.... free to go out with no resistance..Or with spinning gear "open bail"...
    To leave the reel in free spool while fishing can tend to have line run out without any resistance.... You can do the same with a spinning reel, and the results is the same....
    Shimano "bait runners" which I have three, has a bait runner part of the drag system.... You can set the main drag for fighting the fish, and also have another part of the reel for the baitrunner functiion which is adjustable with a clicker... and can be varied by twisting a dial.... You can set it from extreamly easy to a very hard pull. When you start winding on the main system.... The reel clicks into the main drag system and you are off to the fight.

I use bait casters and spinning gear and also have shimano baitrunners.... With the bait casters, you do not have the action as with the baitrunners.... A bait caster... when in free spool has only the clicker to slow it down some.... not to good in strong current, so you have to leave it in gear, and back of the drag some to keep the current from pulling off the line..... With the baitrunner you have a precise adjustment to overcome the current, and or the pull of the live bait that you have on...... You have to readjust the drag on the bait caster once you have a fish on... can be awkward to do so, and not put to much tension on the line while fighting a fish...
    . Again.. the baitrunner function allows you to "dial in" the free spool ....line out function.

barunner ray

8. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    I can always depend on somebody here to be informative!:smile2: That is great info.