Free spool or tight line?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by smitty0312, Jun 7, 2009.

1. smitty0312

smitty0312 New Member

State:
    NW Illinois
    Hey guys...just wondering what the best way when fishing with a bluegill or any other live bait for flatheads is to have the reel on free spool or tight line. Any help well appreciated! Smitty

2. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I like mine on freespool with the bait clicker on.I keep pretty tight to my poles and I,m usually watching my line anyhow(not always though).If I see my bait getting nervous,I,ll pick up the rod and hold it in my hands for a while to see what,s happening,I throw her in gear while I,m doing this.:wink:Oh and WELCOME to the BOC Dan.Good luck!:big_smile:

3. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    do both and learn ,me pesonaly got more in freespool but i cant say becouse i always freespooled now im doing both, its a great qwestion that ive posted and you will get this awser tightlining with gamma circals, thats what the poll says, but i like clikers so i run 2 freespooled and one tightlining, do both

4. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    freespooled with a bait clicker flats will either slam a bait or take off with it then drop it at first feeling of pressure this way you can not only see your line go slacked but also tell if the flat wants to just run or peck at the bait

5. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    use freespool with clickers sometimes you will have trouble with flats dropping the bait when they feel the sinker if your useing a heavey one tey to get by with as light a sinker as you can:crazy:

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I tightline with gama circles 100 percent of the time.

7. smitty0312

smitty0312 New Member

State:
    NW Illinois
    I don't have bait clickers on my 2 reels and I wish I did, it makes it easier if your not paying attention. I will have to upgrade in the future. Smitty

8. Les101

Les101 Guest

I agree Andrew. I turned 100% circle hooks and I just let them bend the rod to the cork. Of course I've never landed a flat over 15#s. They're scarce in my neck of the woods.

9. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i agree im thinking of running tight line on 2 and a cliker on the other,im giving gammas another try, i missed alot of zippes on my clikers

10. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I do both when I fish. ! clicker and 2 tightlines.

11. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    The absolute only reason I use clickers is,,, I don't wanna watch a $150 rod and reel go in the river!! If I'm in the boat or the rods in my hand it's in gear. IMO tightlining is better because. Flatheads don't just grab it and run all the time. I can't count how many times I've reeled a rod in to go home and there was a 30lb fish we didn't know was on. They bite LIGHT sometimes and with a baitclicker on you prolly won't notice. If a flathead takes your bait and swims parralell to your line all you are gonna see is the rod tip flex up and down slowly. This is the flats head moving back and forth as he makes that slow and steady swim.

12. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    im going to tightline from now on out, unlesse its small channels doing the small runs i hate to think i missed a big flathead, i need some more berkly glow rods them are awsom for flatheads, i wouldent recoment them for giant blues

13. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    Tightline on rivers during daylight and clickers at night and on reservoirs.:wink:

14. bream reaper

bream reaper Member

State:
    Indiana
    tightlines and circles for me (but not with the drag so tight a fish bends your worm gear)...

15. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    Thanks for all the good information in the thread, I love the BOC!