Free seminar at Gander Mtn. on Feb. 3, 2007

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Mac-b, Feb 1, 2007.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    If you'll aren't fishing a tournament Saturday or the wind is blowing too much to fish, come by Gander Mtn. Sports store in Mooresville on Saturday (3:00 PM) and I will share what little I know about catfishing. Would be nice to put a face on the names on this board. I beleive you get a 15% discount on what your purchase after the seminar. Mac

2. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Will you be signing autographs? :big_smile:

3. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    You will never know! Because you will be sailing in or on the wind at Tillery. Good luck to you and Mudkip.

4. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    I will be at Monitcello making a donation to Chrisblue instead of catfishrus!! :big_smile:

5. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Might be warmer at Gander Mtn. Gus gonna be there?:big_smile: Going prospecting on Monticello in the Hanna-Lou-- we will need a big horseshoe and rabbit foot this Saturday. Good luck with the presentation, I am sure you will help steer a lot of folks in the right direction as always!

6. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    They (Gander Mtn. management) put us in the conference room, which holds about 75 people, at 3:05 PM we had 25 to 30 people standing outside the room. Thus, they moved us to the archery room and we almost filled that area with 125+- people. One BOC member was there and I was glad to meet him. There were older folks, young folks and even younger folks. The question and answer session after my presentation lasted quite a while, which shows great interest in the sport of catfishing. If you had put on a catfish seminar ten years ago you could have held it in a bathroom. We have come a long ways (catfishing) and we still have a long way to go to get our message out which is, catfishing is fun and very very very exciting!

7. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    There were actually at least two BOC members there. Me, my wife and two sons (7 & 11 years old) drove from Zebulon to attend. Zebulon is about 20 miles east of Raleigh.I am the fellow who carried the tripod stand from one room to the other and mentioned having seen the slinky weight on Gus' rod when he brought it in. I was going to introduce myself, but you had such a crowd hovering around you after the seminar that I decided not to bother you. I've been fishing the Rivers in eastern NC for quite a few years and just recently got a boat big enough to fish the lakes. My sons and I have been hitting Kerr Lake bout every weekend that the weather has allowed for the last couple months with a little success (mainly due to help from other anglers there). Man, fishing these big lakes is real overwhelming when you're used to fishing narrow rivers. But I can remember back when the rivers seemed just as complicated to me. Been reading and fishing as much as time will allow trying to learn more about lake fishing, just going to take some time that's all. Picked up some really good info. from you and Gus at the seminar and hopefully we'll be putting it to use soon up at Kerr Lake (only about 50 minutes from the house).

Well, I'm starting to get a little wordy. My only real point here was to tell ya'll how very much we appreciate all the effort and time the two of you have put into organizing and putting on that seminar. Not just everybody is as willing as y'all are, to share the knowledge that comes from years of blood, sweat and tears. Thanks a lot !! My hat's off to ya !!

To all y'all other folks out there who could'nt attend the seminar....... What you have here in Mac and Gus, is two seasoned, veteran, expert anglers, with years of experience fishing Lake Norman North Carolina (and man they're humble too !). I believe what could be learned from them in a day or two on the lake would take years to learn by yourself weekend fishin'. I just wish we lived a little closer by so we could take advantage of learning from them. Sure would be a whole lot less expensive than the way we're having to go about it at Kerr Lake.

8. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    I am afraid I made a dreadful mistake in my last post about the seminar. I have just learned that, the fella who I was referring to as Gus, is not Gus. His name is actually Capt. Craig Price (Man, I hope I got it right this time).

He is an older gentleman (I think he said he was 68) who's been fishing Lake Norman for many years, and very practiced in the art of catfishin'. I think Mac introduced him as " Our resident catfish expert " or something of that nature. Just from hearing him talk at the seminar I would say, if catfishing is a sport, that fella is a well conditioned athlete.

My sincere apologies to you Capt. Craig, and also to you Mr. Gus for confusing your names.

Bryan

9. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Bryan, the elderly gentleman, as you call him, is Mac (me/LakeNormanBlues) and he is the one who spoke about catfish. I have a beard and I'm not in as good a shape as you think. The fellow who spoke about stripers was Capt. Craig Price. I think both of them did a great job. Lets give them a big hand. The elderly gentleman, man I love that quote!

10. Bream baiter

Bream baiter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Mac, it was good to meet you yesterday. You covered a lot and did a good job of explaining why you do things a certain way. For example, putting the heavier weighted lines at the front of the boat. That was one of the largest crowds that I have seen at a seminar. Job well done.

11. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    "...that fella is a well conditioned athlete..."

Now he is really confused!?!??!?!!? :big_smile:

I know all three guys, and that phrase has never been used in a sentence to describe any of them...or myself!! LOL!!!

The bottom line is that any of the three know a heck of a lot about fishing and a day spent on the boat with them will be worth a classroom of information.

12. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    OK,

The guy with the gray beard is Mac, right?

The guy who talked about stripers is Craig, right?

Gus was not there, right?

So.... Who's in the picture when Lake Norman Blues makes a post on here?
    It looks kinda like the guy (Craig, if I have it straight now) who spoke about fishin' for stripers.

Am I even getting close?

13. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    LOL!!!!

Mac: a.k.a. Lakenormanblues, same guy as his picture. He has the beard like Capt. Ahab.

Gus: Tall, talks like a car salesman. Will wear at least one clothing item (hat shirt, undewear) that says "Fishin with Gus".

Capt. Craig: he doesn't look or sound like either of these other two!!!

Here is a link with all three of them pictured:

http://www.lakenormanstriperfishing.com/pros.htm

14. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    Dieter,

Thank you for the link to the pictures !!
    Now I have it straight.
    Would've never guessed that was Mac in the picture though.

Mac and Craig,

Thanks for a job well done saturday at the seminar !!
    I think I'm going to back out of this one now.
    Y'all have a good evening.

Bryan