Free Manure

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by oh no, Jan 1, 2008.

1. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Does any of you folks manure the heck out of your gardens.

3 years ago my neighbors got in trouble dumping there horse manure too close to a creek on there own property. The IDEM got on them. They have probably 50 horses and about 30 buffalo on there place. Out of the goodnest of my heart I told them they could spead it on my fields and garden. LOL I get 1 to 2 spreader loads a day. It's all horse manure and sawdust. I added about 2 1/2 ton of lime to my garden last fall to make up for the sawdust.

In the spring when it is to soft to drive in the feilds, they make me a house sized pile. I just spread one off those piles on my garden last fall, that had set for 2 years. Boy that stuff was pure compost. I don't have a manure spreader, so I used my front end loader to shake spread it. Then when it was to lumpy to drive over, I pulled a disk over it to level it out.

Last winter they spread all winter on my garden. It's only about an acre and a half, and it had manure on it about 4 inches thick. I plowed that under and started to have a good garden, then my kidneys started shutting down, and I could not keep up with the tilling. So when I got better last summer, I just disked it down every 2-3 weeks to keep the weeds down.

Then I spread all that compost and lime. Boy I think it should really grow the veggys and melons this year. I have already sent in two seed orders, and have about 5 types of watermelons planned. It's great to be able to pick 4-5 a day and bust them for the chickens. Them and the ducks go nuts after water melon. 2 years ago we gave some to my wifes horse, That was funny, that horse made a mess eatting it, but it loved it.

I was just wondering how many people try to build up the ground with manure and lime. Our chicken manure goes on our aspargrass patch every fall. Aspargrass loves lots of manure.

2. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    That stuff is great for the garden, and makes the compost pile so rich Mr gates is jealous.

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I used horse manure at my previous place. It's fantastic and never had a burning problem from it. Also the "careless weeds" aren't as bad as cow manure or chicken litter. I think the lime application is also smart. This year i'm going to have the pH tested and make certain of what i need. Soil Conservation office will run the analysis free here.

4. FLETCH

FLETCH Member

State:
    Villisca Iowa
    Name:
    Ron
    your right about chicken manure. I work on a chicken farm with over 1 million birds I clean my boots off in my garden every day. Try putting your fish heads in your garden it works great.

5. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    If a person has access to it , sea weed is great, because it has small snails and all kinds of little critters. On Clear Lake In laPorte, IN they have a flosting barge type weed cutter. They unload it into a tandum axle trailer. Boy I would love to get some loads of that. They are hard to catch, so I have no idea where them cut weeds go.

6. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Jim. Sounds like you have a nice setup and spread (don't mean the manure) Very few people have the time, location or willingness to do what you do anymore.

I use composted old round bales, mixed with horse, guinea and chicken manure. I add lime to it as it decomposes, mix it with the skid steer when necessary and rototill it in. My problem is that we have cut our garden down from an acre to a much smaller size. Nancy would at one time grow more than 50 tomatos, a lot of potatos, sweet corn, vine crops and the other usual stuff. We don't do it like that any more. So I have too much stuff to add to the garden. Just throw it on the pasture when it is ready.

Are you on the lee side of the lake? You probably get a lot of moisture. If you can grow good melons like Fletch has in his picture you are doing well.

How about blueberries where you are at. We have had good luck with them here. But isn't your part of the country noted for blueberries, or is that further up in Michigan?

7. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    I've use all fish parts before in my gardens, it works really well. My dad used to do the same thing when we lived in North Carolina.
    :wink:

8. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    There are quite a few blueberry farms around here postbeatle. I bought 6 plants last year and kept them in 5 gallon buckets to get some size to them. I plan on planting them this spring out in the field.

I don't live by a lake. That Clear lake is in a city park. They have a weed problem, so they got this barge in there to help clean it up.

9. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    When I moved to this place the soil was all compacted clay, hit up a neighbor for some HM, he brought me a whole speader (4x 15) full. figured what the heck, the dirt needs something to loosen it and put all in 3, 18 L 2 ft W rows. (I only turn the rows, leave grass in between for low maintenance and clean boots) three years later, with no other treatment except lime, I sometimes have trouble finding tomatoes for all the leaves. Plenty there, just plenty of leaves too. Even my late plants top 5ft if I can keep them straight.

Lack of Nitrogen is not a problem.

10. TCAT

TCAT New Member

State:
    mo
    i think its great stuff . i live close to a salebarn and am planning on three or four loads myself this spring. i really think u can never have enough. good things come from the land and sea.

11. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    The only thing better than horse manure is rabbit. I've used lots of horse in the past. I actually like to 'build a pile' by stacking it in layers, watering as you go, cover with plastic, and let it go through heat (composting). This kills the weed seeds and feeds the garden better.

Rabbit doesn't need to go through heat, it has no seeds and won't burn the plants. I was using rabbit 'manure tea' long before Miracle Grow come out.