Free Lining Live Baits

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Cuz, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Hello BOC Brothers. I have a question. Has anyone tried Free Lining Live Baits out on the Missouri or Mississippi. I used this method growing up in Florida alot and it was extremely rewarding. This method is sometimes called Live Lining. In a nutshell, it involves just tying a hook directly on the end of your line, hooking a live bait and letting it go where it wants. No weights or anything. I was hoping someone has tried this out on the rivers. The only problem I can really see would be the current. Out on the ends of the dykes I suppose the bait would be water skiing up on the surface. Thanks ahead of time for the information. Good Luck Fishin !!!! :0a21:

2. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I have tried it behind the angle dikes for carp. Other then that no.

3. McFlat

McFlat New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I've tried it a few times. In lakes it works pretty well from a boat in open water. The biggest problem I've had is having the bait find something to get snagged in. Second problem was wind blowing slack line everywhere.

In the river, baits thrashing on top of the water will bring the gar in like crazy. I've set a bunch of limb lines like that and it works great but you'll have a lot gar and turtles until after dark. The bigger the bait, the less trouble you'll have. I like 1 to 2 pound bullheads and carp, but that makes for slow action. Albeit, when that clicker goes off you'll know you've got a nice fish.

4. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Thats what I was thinking McFlat. I planned on trying using it with Big Baits. I'll make a post if I have some success with it. Thanks for all of the information. I really like using those big baits as I dont mind the long wait. As you said, when you get a bite on a 1-2 pound bait, you will probably be busy for a while. Good Luck Fishin!!!