Free fishing in California?

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by crayzeecade, Jul 10, 2006.

1. I have lived in California for a little over 2 months now and I need a very important question answered.

Is there such a thing as free fishing on lakes in Southern California?

I noticed lakes such as Irvine, puddingstone, and Santa Fe Dam all require you to pay a quite high fee just to sink a line or two if you have the stamp. I just got my license yesterday and I was wondering this.

I just can't believe that most free fishing is confined to the river spots (which are quite a distance away), private lakes, and the ocean. Please help me out anyone, because I like lake fishing the most.

2. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i cant say anything for sure but i do know for a fact that you can fish the piers out there without a liscence and they're usually free.....

3. Capt Steve

Capt Steve Active Member

State:
    Clovis, CA
    Hey Cade, congrats on winning that underwater camera. They are fun to dangle off a pier or boat.

4. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Heck ya, they are pretty cool Capt. Nice win there Cade:smile2: I would check out the DF&G reg real good. I know down here on private property, you still need a licence. I thought it was this way all over, I could be wrong. I hear off piers you need no license:confused2: 2 Sat a year it is free as well. One just past not too long ago.

5. Fishnhuntforever

Fishnhuntforever New Member

State:
    Northern California
    Alot of them require that you pay a fee because it helps upkeep around the lakes. If you find one that you are really interested in they might have a seasonal pass that you can buy. It is usaully much cheaper that way depending on how much you like to fish. If you are an avid fisherman there are not enough free days for you.

6. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I fish 1-3 times per week. LOL!!!! I always get the 2 pole stamp and delta sticker. Cost a mortgage to fish these days with the cost of gas and them stickers. LOL:lol: :lol:

7. Mudville

Mudville New Member

also the cost to fish in most lakes it to make sure they have enough money to re-stock.i know that's how the lake i go to works. they have a yearly parking pass but not one for fishing, at least not that i know of.....yet. as far as the 2 pole sticker i used to buy it to but it's only valid on certain lakes and rivers. sokwhere i fish it is a waste to buy.:sad2:

8. Fishnhuntforever

Fishnhuntforever New Member

State:
    Northern California
    You can say that again if you are just looking to put some fish on the grill better go to the grocery store:roll_eyes: But if it is the sport you love then get out the wallet and dig deep cause you are going to pay:eek:oooh: But the good news is the fees help to ensure that the little ones will have aplace to go:big_smile:

9. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    only place I know where you dont need a license are the piers along the ocean, not even sure why that is.

10. I apreciate the heads up on the info. I just went to Santa Fe Dam yesterday and walked around to check out if there were any spots where fish would hang out the most. I believe I have a honey hole picked out already. At 8 bucks each time I enter the park it doesnt sound too bad to buy a year sticker to keep fishing somewhere close. I believe Puddingstone lake is 8 bucks also so I will give everyone a heads up once I drown some worms in those 2 areas.

I also will be taking that camera to the pier and dangling it off the edge to see what I can see. I didnt even think about taking it there till the post came up giving me that idea. Wish me luck ya'll.

11. askins00

askins00 New Member

State:
    California
    if you are up for the trip I live in Lake Elsinore and the catfishing here is highly underrated. It might be worth the drive there are several free fishing area at the shore. Let me know or I can shake the rust off of the boat.

12. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Thats pretty nice of you! You are jumping right in with the B.O.C. sprit! Rep to you! Btw, where is "Lake Elsinore" located?

13. whiskers77

whiskers77 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    I have actually fished Puddingstone for free when I was younger. I would follow the cars towards raging waters and park in a dirt lot near the dam, I'd then hike down the dam and fish for free, still needed to have fishing license though. Puddingstone charges 8 dollars but I think that is to park. If you were to somehow walk up to the gate I don't know if they would charge you or not. It would be tough walking with all the fishing gear though. Just a thought, it might be worth looking into.

14. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    that place i go to is always free, all u need is a license and a $3 stamp, there even free places to put your boat in

15. Lake Elsinore is right down the 15 and may be worth a drive just to check it out. I should be having some free time on my hands here soon before I start working. Once I get a full day free I may go and check it out, but before that I want to go to the close lakes like Puddingstone or Santa Fe Dam. Thanks for the offer, I won't hesitate to take you up on that once I get everything here straitened out.