Free Fishing Day, Saturday, June 7 2008

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by rich-online, Jun 6, 2008.

1. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    The first free fishing day of the year will be Saturday, June 7. This will allow you to fish without a license legally in California. Please remember that all other rules and regulations apply. This is a good opportunity to introduce a friend to the sport.

-- Rich

2. Levi_in_Fresno

Levi_in_Fresno New Member

State:
    California
    WOW!!! I just bought myself and my wife our fishing licenses and double rod stamps a few weeks back.....our third trip out and some jerks stole all my tackle and our licenses. I recovered the tackle from one of the guys but he tossed our licenses out in the trash when he got home. Things have been tight this month and I was bummed about not fishing until next month when things even out. A free fishing day sounds great right about now......It's 7:30 PM now and I'm heading out to Mendota slough for the first time tonight to try my luck on a perfectly timed free day. Thank you Brother for the heads up!!!
    :wink:

3. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    Levi, did you keep the reciepts for the licenses? if so, won't cost much. just have to pay full price again then for the stamps.
    gary

4. Levi_in_Fresno

State:
    California
    No I don't have the carbon copies, I have the actual store receipt but that doesn't matter. I didn't take the carbon copies off right away, I forgot and they were still attached when they got stolen. I have to re-purchase them and the double rod stamps here in the next week or so. Bummer but I learned a lesson.

5. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    lesson learned then. from what you said, least you got most of gear back i think. maybe others will learn from this at least.
    gary

6. Levi_in_Fresno

State:
    California
    Yep got all my gear back. I went down and got the police report and it had the guys address on it. The report said he was a two strike parolee with numerous Eastside Fresno Bulldog tattoos. I went to his house and asked if he found my stuff.....I think he was just so caught off guard by me showing up that he said yes and gave it back, minus the licenses which he tossed out. He had two small kids and I figured I got my stuff back so I wasn't interested in him getting a felony for grand theft and going back on a parole violation, even though he deserved it. Hope he learned a lesson too.

7. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Should have done everything you could to get him his third strike.
    He hasn't learned a thig from the first to and now he'll just go out and victomize who knows how many more people before he gets his third, and they will all be your fault.

8. Levi_in_Fresno

State:
    California
    I did try to have the police recover my stuff and arrest him but they weren't that interested. I guess I just have a little bit of forgiveness for people in certain circumstances. Granted he does deserve anything he gets for putting himself in that situation. The officers that I filed a police report with are required to report any police contact to his Parole Officer so it ends up being up to him what happens. I did in fact file a report and the authorities can do what they feel is right.....when I say I'm not interested in him doing life over my tackle box I mean that I was just thankful to get it back and I can move on. Also I fail to see how it would be my responsibility if this guy goes on to commit other crimes.....thats like saying that the judge who gave him his last sentence is responsible for him being out at the river and stealing my stuff. He is his own man and should be accountable for himself. I do understand where your coming from and he may not have learned anything, but his punishment lies within the judgment of the authorities they have everything they need to bust him.

9. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Okay from you post it sounded like you got your stuff back and just let it slide.
    And yes, I feel that judges that don't impose maximum sentences for second offences are not doing their jobs of protecting society from idiots that can't learn from their first incarceration and are as responsible as the criminal.
    If a max sentence doesn't work and they go and commit a third offence then cancel their ticket, period.

10. Levi_in_Fresno

State:
    California
    I agree. I suppose I could try to push the issue. Now I feel like I should do more to get him at least a Parole Violation. The maximum sentence on a parole violation if he goes to a parole hearing would be 1 yr. Pushing to get the Grand Theft in criminal court for a third strike would be good but if he only got the 1 yr. on a P.V. he could be back out and may not have fond feelings toward me. It could be done, but I'm not sure if it's worth him getting just one year.