Free Firewood!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Phil Washburn, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    just bring your pickup and chainsaw:wink:

our weather wasn't too bad, just one night of rain turning to ice. temps have hovered around 31, so it wasn't that cold. just a freak deal where the trees were cold enough to freeze the rain. i have lived in shawnee for most of my 52 years, and i have never seen ice damage like we have now. i am going to wear out a chainsaw when it dries just a little:confused2:

a couple of pics..the first is my chinese elm...the day after i took this pic, most of the rest of it fell.

the second is of a big limb on my back fence, with a tree laying on my shop next to it. the third is a better pic of the mulberry tree that is on my shop...have some damage to the codner of the roof, but can't tell how much.

lots of clay in my yard so i will wait for it to dry before firing up the chainsaw....don't like the mental images i get of me sliding around in the clay being chased by a 3 foot diameter tree trunk and a chainsaw under full throttle:smile2:

Attached Files:

2. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    there is a tremendous amount of damage to tress, and consequently, power/cable lines.

they say there is still 11k homes here in town without electricity..i feel fortunate, indeed!

a couple more pics. the first is trees on my barn and house.

the 2nd, how much ice accumulated in just about 6 hours on power lines.

the 3rd, a great shot from an overpass in town of the train passage....that was a beautiful view.

Attached Files:

3. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    Nice shot of the train track.The only good thing about ice storms it makes for nice pics

4. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    my brother live about a block from me. i wanted to post these last pics of the drive to his house......this was just before the limbs fell, making it impassable:smile2:

and the last pic is of the beagle: What ice storm?:big_smile:

Attached Files:

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Wow Phil! You all got it pretty bad. Glad you all are ok though. Those are nice pics,esp. the train track! Were supposed to get ours this weekend. I hope not as bad.

6. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Beautifully destructive isn't it ? That's what our winter weather looks like quite
    often, very little snow but to much of that. The woods are pretty dangerous for awhile after also, especially when the wind picks up.

Sorry about your damage but I'm glad you guys are ok. Careful out there cleaning up , if you hear a crack run first look later, LOL

-Jim-.

And great pics , Thanks

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I figured yall would have gotten hammered by what they were showin on the Amarillo news stations. Glad it aint no worse than it is. Stay warm ,ya got a few days comin to get it out of your way.

8. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Richard, that's actually almost funny. With 250,000 without power just in the Tulsa Metro area, its pretty bad. Funny thing about it is that the power company upped its rates this year for "tree trimming" to prevent this type of thing happening.

9. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Glad to see you back on line. How was the day off?
    Get you a good fire going with that wood and dry things up.

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Phil that is quite the ice storm. Glad your damage was limited. Enjoyed the pics. The beagle looks real content. No worries for him.

11. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Phil, if you weren't so far away I'd jump in the flivver and bring my chainsaw along. :smile2:

12. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Phil we didnt get er that bad but we got it....If you was closer Id fire up the Maumba (1976 3/4 Ford)Grab my poulland and stihl become chainsaw kenny.I am low on wood and need it.JimmeyJohn said it when he said beautifuly destrutive....Mother Nature sure has a way bout herself dont she?

13. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Phil, thanks for all those great pictures!

Maybe that was one of those "Once in a hundred year ice storms". That's what they called the one here in AR in 01. There was no power here for a week. We were lucky, we were gone to TX during that time. Some places were without power for 2 weeks.

14. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i got 4-5 truck loads of firewood from last seasons storm. i went out and cleaned up limbs for elderly folks around town free, but i get the wood.