Free Catfish Bait?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by MilwaukeeCatHunter, Apr 9, 2006.

1. MilwaukeeCatHunter

MilwaukeeCatHunter New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Anyone ever go to the local grocery store and see if they will give you expired chicken livers, expired sea food products, etc. for free? I kinda want to hit up my local grocery store, but I wanted to see if anyone has tried this before with any success. I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask...all they can say is no.

Any other places I am overlooking for free bait other than catching my own live bait?

(yes..I already know I am a cheap b@$!!!!)

2. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    good luck the ones around me won't give it away I have ask.

3. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    they are not using good sence if they give it away. anyone could claim they got sick on it. all people are not honest like us catfisherpersons.

4. MilwaukeeCatHunter

State:
    Wisconsin
    Good point. I didn't think of that. Sometimes I forget how some people try to exploit the generosity of others.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    My best baits are skipjack and fresh shad, but for my backup baits, I go to small cut-rate and/or ethnic groceries. The ones that specialize in handling leftovers, out of date items, stuff from wrecks, etc. give the best prices. I've got a whole flat of chicken livers that I bought for $9.00 It's getting warm enough for me to thaw them out, reserve enough for supper, and cure the rest for catfishing. One of the other stores carries 10# buckets of chitlings for $4.95, and occasionally has them on sale for a dollar less. I've flavored them with garlic powder, anise, and the contents of shrimp flavored ramen noodles. You can either feed the noodles to your dog, or cook them in chicken broth that you've saved. Using vanilla or cheese powder used for making cheese sauce would probably work very well too. And I also see bacon and salt pork at these stores. The cheapest is a box of bacon pieces; not especially good for cooking because they're all different thicknesses, but work fine for fishing.

6. MilwaukeeCatHunter

State:
    Wisconsin
    Thanks Jerry! I

7. MilwaukeeCatHunter

State:
    Wisconsin
    Thanks Jerry! I will check that out.

8. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    A cast net would be a good investment and save you loads of cash on buying bait. Once you buy the cast net, all the bait is free.

9. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Yea it would be nice to get free bait, just don't go "dumpster diving" or anything crazy like that :p LOL

10. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I bet they cant give it away due to health laws. Who knows some might but I would not count on it.

11. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    My wife is a health inspector, they can't give away expired food. It is spoused to be destroyed by putting bleach on it or taken to the land fill. Here in Tx the concern is food poisoning.

12. MilwaukeeCatHunter

State:
    Wisconsin
    Well, that's says it all...guess I will buy a net then.

13. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    IMO, one of the very best places to learn to throw a cast net is on a launching ramp. Nice smooth concrete doesn't hang up your net and ruin it like rocks or stickups.

14. bobsmitter03

bobsmitter03 New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    i use canadian nightcrawlers