free boat if i want it

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by slimdaddy, Sep 2, 2009.

1. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    a guy i work with has a 18' tri-haul boat that he wants to give me but cant get a title for it he lost it somehow and it was not in his name yet and the person it was last titled to cant be found guess hes in prison . he has went to the title office and tried to get one and they tell him as far as there concerned its a stolen boat or the last owner has to file for another title any suggestions but i dont want to take it just to clutter my yard if there is no way of getting a title

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  2. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Can Ohio do a title search? Costs a few bucks, but it HAD to be registered/owned by someone, sometime.

3. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    i went through something VERY similar here in indiana.. after about 3 months, i found out it would be about 6 months longer, and around $200 before i could get a clear title, so i sold the motor out of it. only catch, the guy had to take the whole thing, the bring the trailer back. i then ended up selling him the trailer too.. ended up making $50:smile2: bought it for $200, put NEW tires on the trailer to bring it home. sold the motor for $100, then the trailer for $200

I paid the local PD a $5 fee to run the hull number to make sure it wasnt stolen, came back clear, just hadnt been registered in nearly 5 years. I got it from a guy whos neighbor gave it to him ( with the title, but he "lost" it i guess.. and then his neighbor moved away..how covienent..

MY ADVICE, see if theres anything worth taking off of it ( seats, motor, windshield, ect..) , then junk the hull..Trailers sell at a decent price too! GOOD LUCK!

4. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    thats good advice. you can retitle it but it will take some time and money

5. slimdaddy

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    this is just the boat no trailer or motor he want 300 for the trailer i have a boat about the same thing except mine is 16' thats why he wants me to take it he thinks i could just use my title in which i probaly could till they measured it them im busted i wont do that aint worth it

6. slimdaddy

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    yes he knows who had it reg last but the guy is in prison or cant be located to file for lost title so he wants it out of his he tired of trying to get one for it so he wants to clutter my yard with it:smile2:

7. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Put a mechanics lien on it for storage... there'll be some red tape, but thats probably the way you'll have to do it

8. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Not worth messing with Keith.

9. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    Just have to ask, Is this guy in the "High Wall Hilton" for stealing boats. :smile2:,,

On the serious side. I think I would pass on the deal. It may be and is probably totally legit, but why take a chance.

10. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    i was asked if i wanted a 14 john, ' BUT ' it didn't have a title ether,:eek:oooh: i called up the water craft people, and they told me i need'ed to give them the numbers or bring it to them so they COULD TRY and find them ,and they sead if they couldn't find them i would have to apply for a lost one and wait, all this was sead just last year, good luck to ya !! :big_smile:

11. slimdaddy

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    im not going to mess with it i got a boat and if he cant get the title then i cant either and i dont want it in my yard just more junk to mow around

12. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I figure that is a good call.

13. slimdaddy

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    besides i dont have time to chase around trying to get info to even try to get one and also those ole tri-hauls are cheap and alot of them around